With his family killed by a demon, Tanjiro will do anything to save his little sister, even if she is now no longer human!
What did you watch?
Back in the spring of 2019, I started covering three shows on an episodic basis. This was actually the last one I selected and I’d originally only planned on covering two of them. Since the relaunch of my site, I have updated the reviews and added more images. If you haven’t seen Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, why not watch along as I post the reviews over the next twenty-six days. You can manage an episode a day, right? There will be spoilers, so it’s in your interest…
Tanjiro Kamado lives in an isolated house deep in the woods. His father died when he was he was young, leaving him to help raise his brothers and sisters. They don’t have much, but life is good. One morning, Tanjiro leaves for the town to sell charcoal and after a hard day’s work, he has sold it all and heads home.
With the sun already set, a lonely old man puts Tanjiro up for the night, warning him that it’s not safe to be out after nightfall. That’s when the demons come out! Tanjiro heads home the next morning, but when he arrives he finds that his family has been slaughtered. His sister’s body is still warm, so he throws her over his shoulder and races for help, but there may be no saving her.
What did you think?
When I saw that this series had been categorized as shounen, I went in prepared for the loud, overbearing hero that just charges into everything without thinking. I love a good shounen series, but it can get old. Thankfully, Tanjiro is not that character. He is kind and thoughtful, but determined and calculated. I absolutely loved the animation style which is a real treat. It was so fluid and the fights left me on the edge of my seat.
What was your favourite moment?
That would be the fight! With Tanjiro’s sister, Nezuko turning into a demon, a demon slayer appears and attempts to finish her off, but Tanjiro isn’t having any of it. He’s just lost the rest of his family and he’s not about to lose her too. The demon slayer tests Tanjiro, ultimately knocking him out. Then to his surprise, Nezuko protects Tanjiro, showing that she still has control.
What was your least favourite moment?
There were several lines and monologues that really felt forced. Tanjiro had one where he talked about the smell of blood signalling the end of happiness, which seemed kind of obvious. It was used to foreshadow the discovery of his family, but it didn’t work for me. Then the demon slayer gave a speech about the weak being useless and how only the strong should survive. I get that he
Who was your favourite character?
In reality, there were only three possible characters to choose from at this stage – Tanjiro, Nezuko, and the demon slayer, Giyu. I’d call it a tie between Tanjiro and Nezuko at the moment, although I feel like I’ll end up leaning towards Nezuko as the series goes on, especially if they find a way to harness her newfound strength.
Who was your least favourite character?
I guess that just leaves Giyu, the demon slayer, which is fair. He was kind of annoying with his monologues and the way he looked down on Tanjiro at first. Maybe, he has seen it all before and was expecting a different response from Nezuko, but surely the demon slayer is supposed to be a little virtuous? Also, what if it turns out that Giyu is a demon and was the one that killed Tanjiro’s family? Sorry, just getting my crazy ideas out of the way now.
Would you like some more?
Yes, there was more than enough to catch my interest and as I said, the animation style is excellent. It’s obviously fairly dark which gets it extra points from me. Now, Tanjiro and Nezuko are going to go and train to become demon slayers in the hopes of curing Nezuko. I foresee lots of big battles with increasingly tough demons. Good times!
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – Cruelty
- Episode 2 – Trainer Sakonji Urokodaki
- Episode 3 – Sabito and Makomo
- Episode 4 – Final Selection
- Episode 5 – My Own Steel
- Episode 6 – Swordsman Accompanying a Demon
- Episode 7 – Muzan Kibutsuji
- Episode 8 – The Smell of Enchanting Blood
- Episode 9 – Temari Demon and Arrow Demon
- Episode 10 – Together Forever
- Episode 11 – Tsuzumi Mansion
- Episode 12 – The Boar Bares Its Fangs, Zenitsu Sleeps
- Episode 13 – Something More Important Than Life
- Episode 14 – The House with the Wisteria Family Crest
- Episode 15 – Mount Natagumo
- Episode 16 – Letting Someone Else Go First
- Episode 17 – You Must Master a Single Thing
- Episode 18 – A Forged Bond
- Episode 19 – Hinokami
- Episode 20 – Pretend Family
- Episode 21 – Against Corps Rules
- Episode 22 – Master of the Mansion
- Episode 23 – Hashira Meeting
- Episode 24 – Rehabilitation Training
- Episode 25 – Tsuguko, Kanao Tsuyuri
- Episode 26 – New Mission
- Season Two – Yuukaku-hen
- Episode 1 – Sound Hashira Tengen Uzui
- Episode 2 – Infiltrating the Entertainment District
- Episode 3 – What Are You?
- Episode 4 – Tonight
- Episode 5 – Things Are Gonna Get Real Flashy!
- Episode 6 – Layered Memories
- Episode 7 – Transformation
- Episode 8 – Gathering
- Episode 9 – Defeating an Upper Rank Demon
- Episode 10 – Never Give Up
- Episode 11 – No Matter How Many Lives
- Season Three – Katanakaji no Sato-hen
- Season One
- Bonus Posts