While they try to decide what to do next, a group of cloaked Infernals attack. Surprisingly, they can talk and they believe the Tabernacle is a weapon of mass destruction. Does that mean Amaterasu is one too?
Fire Force (Episode 32) – Smoldering Malevolence
The cloaked Infernals appear to be somewhat intelligent. They can speak and are organised. It also appears that they are following a Demon Infernal called Tempe. As Shinra and the others fight back, one Infernal tells them that the Tabernacle is a weapon that will help destroy the world. Shinra recalls Dr Giovani trying to get the key to Amaterasu from Vulcan so it could be true. However, Schop is adamant that it isn’t. After all the strange woman that activated it after the Great Cataclysm gifted it to them along with speech and longer life.
Shinra accepts Schop’s story and decides that they need to stop Tempe from destroying everything. However, they don’t have the firepower to take down a Demon Infernal. Regardless, Pan and Licht plan on investigating inside the Tabernacle while Shinra and the others keep the Infernals busy. It should have been easy, but that was before they saw how strong Tempe was. Shinra wonders if he would be able to link with the Evangelist for more power, but worries that she’s evil. That’s when an Adolla Link occurs and he receives the blessings of another…
What did you think?
All right, I feel like I’ve gotten over the talking animals and will just go along with it. That’s mostly because of how they came to be and what that means for the overall story. Does the Evangelist have a rival? What is the purpose of these power stations and why do they have eight flaming towers? They look awfully like eight pillars… I think things are starting to get really interesting. Yomu, how was it for you?
Well, things certainly have taken on a different direction with the past few episodes. It seems that we’re going back to infernals themselves, and how they tie into everything. An enemy that up until now was basically a non-issue, at least since the first few episodes of the first season, as the focus shifted to the Evangelist, White Clad, Joker, et cetera. It’s an interesting shift.
I liked how it raised more questions about the Tabernacle and in turn Amaterasu. It was a fairly big segment of last season where Giovani was trying to get the key to Amaterasu off Vulcan so I can’t help but wonder what they really are and how they work. I’m also glad that the demon infernal this time is actually a serious opponent. What did you think of the history of Tabernacle and the cloaked woman that found the oasis?
I’m not sure exactly what to think of her, but it seems that the show was trying to portray her in a good light. But considering that much time has passed since she created the oasis, it’s possible that she’s become corrupted or her goals have changed since then. For all we know, she may be the Evangelist, right? We still haven’t actually seen the Evangelist, have we?
I think we saw the Evangelist at the end of season one for a couple of seconds, but it wasn’t enough to rule out anything. The only reason I’d think this one isn’t the Evangelist is that she saved the animals and created the oasis. She also linked with Shinra to ask him to save it from the infernals. Of course, anything is possible. Either way, I’m just really glad that we’re expanding our understanding of the world and not just focusing on the Tokyo districts. This story has just exploded in a good way, for me at least.
That’s true. I took the connection to potentially be one where Shinra connected with her from the past, not necessarily the present. But it could be the present for sure.
There’s still too much we don’t know, but I guess they’re slowly getting us there. Talking and thinking infernals is an interesting twist. It definitely seems like the takeaways from this excursion have been the focus on that cloaked woman, and on “tabernacles”.
For sure, but at least we seem to be in a position to find out a bit more about things. No doubt by the time we get back to Tokyo we’ll know more than we did when we left. I’m looking forward to the fight with Tempe as that will hopefully give us some flashy action to look at too. I’m confident we’ll get some answers soon.
The next few episodes should shed some light on our questions. That said, how many new questions will arise in their place? Haha.
Many, many more…
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – Shinra Kusakabe Enlists
- Episode 2 – The Heart of a Fire Soldier
- Episode 3 – The Rookie Fire Soldier Games
- Episode 4 – The Hero and the Princess
- Episode 5 – The Battle Begins
- Episode 6 – The Spark of Promise
- Episode 7 – The Investigation of the 1st Commences
- Episode 8 – Infernal Insects
- Episode 9 – The Spreading Malice
- Episode 10 – The Promise
- Episode 11 – Formation of Special Fire Force Company 8 – The Mightiest Hikeshi
- Episode 12 – Eve of Hostilities in Asakusa
- Episode 13 – The Trap Is Set
- Episode 14 – For Whom the Flames Burn
- Episode 15 – The Blacksmith’s Dream
- Episode 16 – We Are Family
- Episode 17 – Black and White and Gray
- Episode 18 – The Secrets of Pyrokinesis
- Episode 19 – Into the Nether
- Episode 20 – Wearing His Pride
- Episode 21 – Those Connected
- Episode 22 – A Brother’s Determination
- Episode 23 – Smile
- Episode 24 – The Burning Past
- Season Two
- Episode 25 – A Fire Soldier’s Fight
- Episode 26 – Flames of Madness
- Episode 27 – A New Flashpoint
- Episode 28 – Groping Through the Fire
- Episode 29 – Corna (Sign of the Devil) / A Secret Plan
- Episode 30 – The Time to Choose
- Episode 31 – Road to the Oasis
- Episode 32 – Smoldering Malevolence
- Episode 33 – The Core
- Episode 34 – The Woman in Black
- Episode 35 – Dark Hero
- Episode 36 – Shadows Cast by Divine Light
- Episode 37 – A Pair of One-Eyes
- Episode 38 – The Ashen Reaper
- Episode 39 – A Three-Way Melee
- Episode 40 – Mind Blown
- Episode 41 – Boys, Be Weak
- Episode 42 – The Holy Woman’s Anguish / The Man, Assault
- Episode 43 – The Oze Family
- Episode 44 – Weapon of Destruction
- Episode 45 – Enemy Contact
- Episode 46 – Plot for Extinction
- Episode 47 – Firecat
- Episode 48 – Signs of Upheaval
- Bonus Posts
Shinra Kusakabe (Re-run) Fire Force ARTFX J Figure – $129.99
from: Right Stuf, Inc.
Tamaki Kotatsu (Re-run) Fire Force ARTFX J Figure – $129.99
from: Right Stuf, Inc.
Fire Force Manga Volume 1 – $7.69
from: Right Stuf, Inc.