It’s the first day back at school after the winter break and Tohru is excited to see how Haru and Momiji are settling in, but an unexpected visitor drastically changes the mood.
What did you watch?
The big question still remains unanswered and that is how long is season one of Fruits Basket? This was episode 12 and there appears to be another yet to come, so we could be going for thirteen, twenty-six, or who knows, maybe even the full sixty-three… Anyhow, we’ve got lots to talk about with this episode, so let’s get on with it. There will be spoilers after this.
So, it’s the first day of the new school year and also Haru and Momiji’s first day at their new school with Tohru, Yuki, and Kyo. Saki enlists Kyo to locate the new Soma’s when she learns of their arrival. He initially refuses but then Tohru offers to go with him. They track down Momiji and Haru and are a little surprised to see that Momiji has chosen to wear a girl’s uniform and that Haru has customized his look somewhat.
They’re not the only ones to have noticed too. The student council president arrives and is determined to put these rule-breakers in their place. He obviously didn’t count on the appearance of Dark Haru who is also quite the fighter with his words. He manages to convince the president and his assistants that Momiji isn’t hurting anyone and that his hair is its natural colour. He then offers to prove it to Tohru too…
What did you think?
I thought this episode was excellent, but also quite unlike any of the others so far. The first half of the episode focused on Haru and Momiji which was hilarious. It really was funny and left me laughing out loud more than once. I can’t get enough of Dark Haru or Kyo’s reactions to just about anything. Then, the mood of the entire episode flipped in a heartbeat as Tohru ran into Akito. The change in the episode was staggering and truly spectacular. I’ve not felt a shift like that in a while.
What was your favourite moment?
Saki is a complete mystery and an enigma. Those two words are synonymous, but it still makes sense with Saki. She could even by a mysterious enigma or an enigmatic mystery. Anyhow, I loved the way she threatened Kyo into going and finding Haru and Momiji. She truly is terrifying, but it a good way.
What was your least favourite moment?
This was a simple one. You could feel the shift in the mood as Akito talked to Tohru, but once Yuki intervened it sucked you to a dark depth that threatened to reach out of the screen and imprison you in its icy depths. When Akito stepped towards Yuki and told him off for missing New Year, she looked like evil personified. I’m still convinced that Akito is a woman or even androgynous. Anyhow, that’s not important right now, but it really felt like it worse just going to get worse and worse until Tohru appeared out of nowhere, pushing Akito aside. I don’t think I breathed for the entire scene.
Who was your favourite character?
Easily Dark Haru. Every time he’s on the screen great things happen. Whether he’s fighting with his fists or his mind he really is a force to be reckoned with. I’m looking forward to seeing much more of him, especially now that he’s in the same school as them and has meet Saki and Arisa. On a side note, did you notice his face when they were playing badminton? Brilliant!
Who was your least favourite character?
Wow! So, this is another very easy one. That would be Akito. She was an incredibly menacing character who showed just what she would and could do if people crossed her. I’m very curious home the Soma clan came to be this way and what Shigure’s plans have to do with everything. Part of me thinks he’s trying to take over, but only time will tell. Also, that was quite the death stare Kyo gave Akito from the window.
Would you like some more?
I feel like with the first real introduction of Akito this series has suddenly found a new life. It was already very entertaining beforehand and I’m sure the heartfelt and emotional moments will continue, but now there’s some real mystery and menace bubbling to the surface and it’s great. I’m still very curious how many more with have in the first season, but if it keeps this level up, I will gladly watch all sixty-three week after week.
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now
- Season Three
- Episode 51 – I’ll Hold Another Banquet
- Episode 52 – That’s an Unwavering Truth
- Episode 53 – I Hope It Snows Soon
- Episode 54 – I’m… Home.
- Episode 55 – I Mean… You Know, Right?
- Episode 56 – It Was So Foolish
- Episode 57 – That’s Right, It’s Empty
- Episode 58 – I’m Disappointed in You
- Episode 59 – What’s Your Name?
- Episode 60 – I Just Love Her
- Episode 61 – Goodbye
- Episode 62 – You Fought Well
- Episode 63 – See You Again Soon
Fruits Basket Collectors Edition Manga Volume 1 – $15.99
from: Right Stuf, Inc.
Fruits Basket Collectors Edition Manga Volume 2 – $15.99
from: Right Stuf, Inc.
Fruits Basket Collectors Edition Manga Volume 3 – $15.99
from: Right Stuf, Inc.