With the cat out of the bag… so to speak, Tohru Honda now knows what she’s got herself into, well, almost. Now, she will have to wait to see if the head of the Soma family will allow it.
What did you watch?
This was the second week of the Spring 2019 schedule and I managed to keep myself from jumping into all the other shows that caught my eye. Admittedly, I did have several shows from the Winter schedule that haven’t finished yet, so I had those to review as well. But then you’re not here for that, we’re talking about Fruits Basket episode two, so let’s dive in.
Tohru had just accidentally turned Yuki into a rat, Kyo into a cat, and Shigure into a dog and was struggling to comprehend what had just happened. Luckily, everyone returned to normal and Shigure explained the situation. Apparently, thirteen members of the Soma family are cursed in alignment with the Chinese zodiac.
As a result of Tohru discovering their secret, Shigure informs her that he will have to report it to the head of the family. Yuki’s not too happy about this and Kyo just isn’t happy about anything. Following another interesting day at school, Tohru finds out that Akito, the head of the Soma family is fine with the situation as long as Tohru promises not to tell anyone. On top of that Kyo will be living with them and going to the same school too…
What did you think?
It was a slower episode this week. I think having the big reveal at the end of episode one was the right way to do it, but it made it harder for this one to keep up. If anything, it really focused on Kyo. It’s amusing that Kyo and Yuki are basically complete opposites. One is calm and well-spoken on the outside, but burning with angst and rage within, while the other is flustered and hot-headed which seems like a mask to protect himself from people finding out about him.
What was your favourite moment?
I think that will be when Tohru was walking home after work and she noticed a shadowy figure following her. Obviously, it was Kyo, but she wasn’t to know that, so she spun around and hit him with her bag. Straight away he jumps on the offensive, accusing her of hitting him because she doesn’t like him. He was quite clearly caught off guard when she told him that wasn’t true and she thought he was a pervert.
What was your least favourite moment?
It was Kyo’s first day of school and the girls were making a bit of a fuss. He got frustrated at the attention and went to leave. One girl ran after him and almost grabbed him, but he spun her into an arm hold, pinning her to the floor, before leaping out of a window on what appeared to be the fourth floor. If you’re worried about drawing attention to yourself, that might not be the best way to go about it.
Who was your favourite character?
I liked Kyo in this episode. He’s far more interesting that Yuki in the sense that it’s never dull when he’s around. Maybe after a while, it will become annoying, but in this one it was fine. Obviously, Shigure didn’t feature much, so that opened up the competition.
Who was your least favourite character?
I’ve still not forgiven any of Tohru’s family for the way they behaved in the first episode, so even though they weren’t even mentioned, they’re still my least favourite characters. After them, it’s Yuki. I appreciate he has his baggage having seen his friends have their memories altered when they discovered his secret, but he’s a little too broody.
Would you like some more?
While this episode wasn’t as hot as the first one, it did enough to raise some questions that I’d like to find the answers to. The main one is still what happened to the Somas and why? I’d like to know more about the head of the family, Akito. And lastly, why are they letting Tohru do all the housework, especially given that they know what she’s been through. Come on, guys. Stop being a bunch of bums!
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now
- Season Three
- Episode 51 – I’ll Hold Another Banquet
- Episode 52 – That’s an Unwavering Truth
- Episode 53 – I Hope It Snows Soon
- Episode 54 – I’m… Home.
- Episode 55 – I Mean… You Know, Right?
- Episode 56 – It Was So Foolish
- Episode 57 – That’s Right, It’s Empty
- Episode 58 – I’m Disappointed in You
- Episode 59 – What’s Your Name?
- Episode 60 – I Just Love Her
- Episode 61 – Goodbye
- Episode 62 – You Fought Well
- Episode 63 – See You Again Soon