The Prince Yuki fan-club has had enough of Tohru hogging their idol and are planning on doing something about it. The main obstacle as far as they’re concerned is Saki, but is it wise to try to take her on?
What did you watch?
All right, that’s enough Somas for now. Instead, it’s time to focus on Saki. Hopefully, we’ll find out about how she met Tohru and came to be one of her best friends. This is episode 21 of Fruits Basket. I’ll admit when I started this series I had no idea it was going to be so long, but even at this stage, you’ll hear no complaints from me. As you may expect, there will be spoilers. It’s time to turn on your waves…
The Prince Yuki fan-club boast to have about half of the female students as members. They have been keeping an eye on Yuki and it’s hard not to notice Tohru always hanging around with him. Well, the time has come to do something about it. Tohru must be eliminated, however, there is one thing standing in their way. Something so utterly terrifying and inhuman that they will need to find a weakness before proceeding.
So, the fan-club representatives manage to convince Saki to allow them to come to her house to ‘write a report on waves’. They think they’ve fooled her, but you don’t fool Saki. She knows exactly what they’re up to. Arisa asks if she can come watch. Saki agrees and asks Tohru if she would like to come, but she has work and then Kisa and Hiro are coming over to watch videos.
What did you think?
So, I didn’t get my Saki back story and I’m fine with that. It helps to maintain the mystery that is Saki. It was actually quite refreshing to have an episode with very little Tohru in it. She is a great character, but at times she seems all too perfect and at the same time quite vacant. At least with an episode focused on Saki, you know you’re going to get some dark and mysterious happenings. It was fun, had a nice message about not forgetting about what others want, and gave us more Saki.
What was your favourite moment?
It was funny seeing the three members of the Prince Yuki fan-club the next morning all believing that they had been cursed. They confronted Saki, but were troubled to discover that the curse takes three days before it begins. Good luck sleeping now, girls! Haha! I also enjoyed Saki’s little brother, Megumi. He was like a mini version of her, but even more dark and mysterious.
What was your least favourite moment?
Even though I enjoyed this episode, it felt like it was missing something and overall it felt kind of timid. There were lots of fun moments where the girls were imagining Saki’s house or what she would do to them, but otherwise it just kind of plodded along.
Who was your favourite character?
I think it was Saki, although Megumi was very close behind. It was funny how she read the girls intentions with ease and then with the help of Megumi turned it all back on them. There were lots of little funny moments like when she told them not to say their names out loud in her house without explanation. That’s funny. I might start doing that to visitors.
Who was your least favourite character?
Obviously, it’s the girls from the Prince Yuki fan-club. Whatever their reason, setting out to destroy a friendship is inexcusable. Doing so because they were jealous makes it obviously worse. Then the fact that they hadn’t even considered what Yuki wanted shows just how shallow and self-centred these girls were.
Would you like some more?
This episode felt like a little detour from the main story and it was fun. I’m looking forward to getting back to trying to work out what’s going on with the Somas. We’re approaching the end of the season, so things should start to ramp up for a big finish, hopefully. Really, I just want to know the connection between Kyo and Kyoko, and no I won’t stop going on about it. Also, I know it’s probably a way off, but what is Shigure up to? So many questions still to be answered. Lots to look forward to.
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now
- Season Three
- Episode 51 – I’ll Hold Another Banquet
- Episode 52 – That’s an Unwavering Truth
- Episode 53 – I Hope It Snows Soon
- Episode 54 – I’m… Home.
- Episode 55 – I Mean… You Know, Right?
- Episode 56 – It Was So Foolish
- Episode 57 – That’s Right, It’s Empty
- Episode 58 – I’m Disappointed in You
- Episode 59 – What’s Your Name?
- Episode 60 – I Just Love Her
- Episode 61 – Goodbye
- Episode 62 – You Fought Well
- Episode 63 – See You Again Soon