It’s the morning after Kyo’s big reveal and everything is back to normal… well, not Kagura and Yuki, or Kazuma. Fine, it’s just Tohru and Shigure. They’re normal, everyone else is a little off!
What did you watch?
I can’t believe I’ve finally reached the end of season one of Fruits Basket. For the longest amount of time, I had no idea how long the season would be and I’ll admit I came in expecting twelve episodes. So, this was episode 25 of Fruits Basket and it’s the morning after the shocking events of episode 24. Let’s get straight into things. Get ready for some spoilers.
Kyo woke up to find that Kazuma had already left. He ran down to find Shigure having breakfast who informed him that Tohru was walking him to the street. Kyo raced out after them sprinting down the stairs. At the Street, Tohru and Kazuma spoke. He talked about his grandfather being possessed by the cat spirit and how he had treated him then. Maybe taking in Kyo was a way of making amends with his grandfather, but he realised that he loved him like he was his own son, but his actions last night, going against Kyo’s wishes didn’t give him the right to think that.
Kyo finally caught up with them and demanded to know why he left, the sparred a little, before Kyo revealed that he hoped that one day he would have grown enough to be able to make him proud of him and think of him as his son. Well, he does and they sparred a little more. Kazuma then blocked a punch and closed his fingers around Kyo’s fist. That’s a hug in the martial arts world. Later that day, Haru spoke to Tohru having noticed that everyone seemed a little off today.
What did you think?
While this episode didn’t have the shock power of the last episode or any particularly great moments like many of the other episodes leading up to this point, it was nice. It did enough to close off the first season and leave us with enough intrigue to carry on. There were two students at school that we’d not seen before who seemed interested in Yuki, well, one of them did. Then there was Rin who talked about the curse and Shigure. Finally, we saw Shigure with Akito’s head in his lap looking thoughtful. What does it mean? It means we’ll have to be back for season two!
What was your favourite moment?
When Kazuma and Kyo were sparring slash discussing their feelings, there was a moment where both had expressed the same thing, but neither really acknowledged the other. All I could think was give him a hug already Kazuma. Then he caught Kyo’s fist and closed his fingers around it. All right, that’ll do. There’s definitely been more than one occasion in this series where everyone would have got along better had they only said what was on their mind. It was an oddly nice moment though… the fist hug!
What was your least favourite moment?
I was surprised that no one really said anything about the previous day. Surely, something needed to be said about the cat spirit. If not from Yuki and Kagura because they were obviously both affected by Tohru’s reaction to it, but Tohru and Kyo should have said something. He just turned into a cat monster that smashed a cliff. I feel like there needed to be some sort of discussion.
Who was your favourite character?
I thought the moment where Yuki caught up with Tohru and tried to say how he was changing and doing it to be a better person for her. Some of his examples were a bit odd, like being able to tie his tie faster. Whatever, it was a weird and good moment, but then came the wall slam… can I call it a slam? It was more like a wall lean, but we all knew what he meant by it. So, just for the weakest wall slam in the history of anime, I’m going to make Yuki my favourite character of the episode.
Who was your least favourite character?
I made no secret that I didn’t like Hiro when it was his episode and him popping up at the end to talk to Rin. Do we know Rin yet? I don’t think so, but she’s in the hospital and it looks like she’s about to be let out. Anyhow, she has an interest in Shigure and the curse which is very promising, but why does Hiro need to be involved? Can’t we just write him out of the series already? He was on the screen for barely a couple of seconds and that was too much.
Would you like some more?
Well, I guess I better pick it up again when season two comes around… Of course, I want more. There are so many unanswered questions and I get the feeling it’s only going to get more mysterious and possibly a little darker. Maybe Tohru will finally stand up for herself… Maybe that’s wishing too far. Either way, I have really enjoyed this series and am glad that it was recommended to me. Fruits Basket is not my normal type of show, but that’s even more of a reason to watch it. It’s good to branch out and try new things.
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now