All thoughts turn to the future and what they will do once they leave school. Tohru plans on getting a job and supporting herself, but it’s never as simple as that and even worse for a Soma!
The future can be a terrifying prospect, especially leaving something as stable as school and having to make it in the wide world. The latest school assignment has the group putting in their plans for that future. Tohru has it all figured out, but then she has for a long time now. Only, she hadn’t planned on the difficulties the Soma’s might face with their futures. What say do they have in it, if any at all? And, is Tohru really so sure of things? A trip to visit Kazuma Soma with Kyo opens her eyes to just how little control Kyo and Yuki have. But not only that, she realises that she has been burying her head in the sand to avoid thinking of the future.
What did you think?
I think most people have either been through this or are going to go through it. Trying to decide what you want to do with your life is no easy decision, especially at that age. It took me years to realise what I want to be and I’m still working towards it as we speak. I think it’s best to keep your options open and be flexible. In an ideal world, you’ll be able to make something you love into your career, but that doesn’t always work out, so you may need to find a career that allows you to do what you love outside of work. What does any of this have to do with this episode, you might ask? Well, I guess it just made me think about when I was trying to make the same decisions. Like Shigure, I have come through it and realise that it’s always good to live in the present, but keep one eye on the future. Trying to ignore the situation entirely will never end well. So, make time for the fun stuff like watching Fruits Basket!
What have you learnt?
Obviously, there’s a lot to relate to in this series and I think that’s why it’s so popular. Sure, there’s the supernatural stuff, but that really isn’t the focus. It’s about growing up and making a life for yourself, finding people to rely on and recognising those that you can’t. The thing that really makes it for me is the characters and their experiences. There’s always something that you can connect with and that makes the supernatural stuff feel that much more real, because if most of the stuff feels real then why not everything. It’s an incredibly well-written story and while it’s not my genre of choice, there’s so much to learn from it.
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?