They’re home from their summer vacation and Tohru rushes to the Soma estate to talk with Kazuma. Meanwhile, Kagura catches up with Kyo demands that they go on a date together.
Tohru was understandably shaken from her trip to the Soma summer house and the presence of Akito was an undeniable factor. Even after everything she’s learnt, Tohru still wants to break the curse and free Kyo and Yuki, and the other Somas. She goes to the only person she can think of that isn’t a part of the zodiac members, Kazuma. He’s unfortunately not as much help as he would have hoped, but he gives Tohru somethings to think about.
Kagura is excited that Kyo is back from their vacation and tracks him down. He wants to tell her something, but she refuses to listen until he goes on a date with her. Having reluctantly agreed, Kyo meets up with Kagura who then takes him to the place that they first met and explains that her reasons for liking him, even falling in love with him, were entirely selfish and that she was sorry. Kyo tells her that he will never love her, but he’s thankful that she was his friend.
What did you think?
I’m not crying, you’re crying! Seriously, this series is incredible. The way that it’s able to juggle all of these characters and continuously hit emotional moments like this one is a wonder. I felt so sorry for Kagura as she explained how she pitied Kyo and it helped her to deal with her own problems being a zodiac child. Her reaction to seeing Kyo in his true form is entirely understandable. She was a child and seeing that would have been terrifying. I think she’s judging herself too harshly by comparing her reaction to Tohru’s who was much older and closer with Kyo when she saw it. Either way, it was a beautiful and bittersweet moment when Kagura realised that she really did love him and that it was never going to be returned. Also, it was a genius idea to save the opening music and enhance that scene.
What have you learnt?
I feel like I’ve mentioned this a few times recently, but all characters need their own motivation and goals. This is handled so well in Fruits Basket and is one of the reasons that we can seamlessly switch between the focus characters for each episode and not get lost or bored. Every character is a fully fleshed-out character and not just there to move the story forward or prop up the main characters. They could all very easily be the star of their own story. When crafting a story, it’s a great idea to plot out all the characters storylines, even if you only use parts of it. It will definitely give them life.
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now