Tohru’s grandfather has injured himself and just as the parent-teacher meetings are about to start. Luckily, Shigure is ready to step in… Meanwhile, Yuki has been doing some thinking about Haru and Rin.
Yuki is still struggling to feel like he deserves to put himself first and continues to compare himself to everyone. Even a chance meeting with Kagura has him feeling insecure. It causes him to remember his time in Akito’s room where only Haru would visit him. That memory gives him a reason to seek out Rin and question what she’s doing breaking up with Haru. He believes that she is protecting him from something.
Tohru’s grandfather has hurt his back and won’t be able to attend the parent-teacher meetings. Her aunt is too impressed with the idea of going in his place, but Shigure steps in and offers to go. After all, he can’t wait to see Mayuko’s reaction when he arrives. Tohru takes the chance to go and visit her grandfather who tells her he had a dream about her parents and how he’d like to see them once more. That awakens a repressed memory of Kyoko not long after Tohru’s father died.
What did you think?
This episode seemed to lack something. Again, it was fine, but I’m not entirely sure where the time went. We seemed to follow Yuki and Haru talking for ages and then they bolted on the stuff with Tohru at the end. Which, in my view, was a shame because the meeting between Tohru and her grandfather was probably the best part of the show. And by best, I, of course, mean the saddest. Seeing her grandfather falling asleep while thinking of his son and Kyoko, wishing to see them once more, clearly gave Tohru one hell of a scare. It was enough to remind her of the time Kyoko left her not long after her father died. I can only assume we’ll see more of that because I’m guessing that’s when she became a biker and Tohru had to learn to cook and clean. I hope Kyoko didn’t abandon her for long.
What have you learnt?
I miss dark Haru. He was a bundle of entertainment when he first burst onto the scene back in episode nine, but now he seems like a shell of his former self. As usual, Fruits Basket gives up some small piece of information and then leaves you with another handful of threads to pull at. What is Rin protecting Haru from? What happened to Tohru’s father? Where did Kyoko go and how long for? What is Rin meeting with Shigure for? Why are we still watching Yuki mope around? Seriously, I feel like it’s time for Yuki to step up or move out of the spotlight. There are plenty of characters just waiting to jump in.
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now
- Season Three
- Episode 51 – I’ll Hold Another Banquet
- Episode 52 – That’s an Unwavering Truth
- Episode 53 – I Hope It Snows Soon
- Episode 54 – I’m… Home.
- Episode 55 – I Mean… You Know, Right?
- Episode 56 – It Was So Foolish
- Episode 57 – That’s Right, It’s Empty
- Episode 58 – I’m Disappointed in You
- Episode 59 – What’s Your Name?
- Episode 60 – I Just Love Her
- Episode 61 – Goodbye
- Episode 62 – You Fought Well
- Episode 63 – See You Again Soon