Yuki continues his honest and frank discussion with Kakeru where he reveals his true feelings for Tohru. Meanwhile, the rest of the class continue to prepare for their production of Cinderella and things aren’t going to plan.
After hearing Yuki’s confession, Kakeru pointed out that it’s not uncommon for guys to seek out a girl that’s similar to their mother, even if they don’t realise they’re doing it. Yuki, however, just confirmed that he wants Tohru as a mother and doesn’t see her in the way that a “man should see a woman”! Kakeru then asks Yuki if he’d like his mother… Anyhow, before things can get too odd, Kakeru throws a soccer ball at Yuki and then as they continue the strange debate Kimi shows up and punches Kakeru in the gut.
Kimi says she’s come to check up on Yuki after he said he was feeling nauseous (three-episode ago). He confirms that he’s feeling better and returns to check on the play. Unfortunately, things don’t appear to be going too well. Kyo ditched rehearsals and Tohru is sobbing and apologising for trying to play the evil step-sister and failing. She’s extra determined after Ayame’s visit to measure everyone up for their costumes after he offered to make them all.
Later, Yuki tells Kyo that Tohru has the hat that he left with Yuki all those years ago and it seems to have struck a nerve. They then have a bit of an argument in the stairwell at school in which Yuki tells Kyo to stop making Tohru wait. Before leaving, Kyo punches through a window, cutting his hand. Kyo finds Tohru and tells her he’ll try to take the play seriously.
What did you think?
I feel like this little arc with Yuki has gone on just about long enough. The fact that Yuki started his conversation with Kakeru back in episode 45 shows that. However, I can’t help but enjoy Kakeru’s take on things and the explosive appearance of Kimi always adds to the entertainment. Then, throw in Ayame and Mine and all of the slow melancholy of the episode fades away. One thing that I am still struggling with is that if Yuki wants Kyo to be his friend, he should probably stop antagonising him. He’s acting like Kyo’s tsundere girlfriend.
What have you learnt?
I mentioned in the last episode that I felt they could have made better use of the hat and it seemed that they realised that too and tried to do something with it after the fact. It felt forced to me and I struggle to believe that Kyo knew exactly what Yuki was talking about straight away. It feels like we’re going through a little bit of a slow build as we move towards the end of the season. Can this one end as spectacularly as the first one? Only time will tell, but I doubt there are many more monstrous cat spirits!
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now
- Season Three
- Episode 51 – I’ll Hold Another Banquet
- Episode 52 – That’s an Unwavering Truth
- Episode 53 – I Hope It Snows Soon
- Episode 54 – I’m… Home.
- Episode 55 – I Mean… You Know, Right?
- Episode 56 – It Was So Foolish
- Episode 57 – That’s Right, It’s Empty
- Episode 58 – I’m Disappointed in You
- Episode 59 – What’s Your Name?
- Episode 60 – I Just Love Her
- Episode 61 – Goodbye
- Episode 62 – You Fought Well
- Episode 63 – See You Again Soon