Will Kyo and Tohru open up to one another? Not in this episode, but we will get to see Akito and Ren continue their feud. It would appear that it’s not just Shigure that has been pulling the strings!
Kyo wakes from a frightful dream where he saw Kyoko and his mother. He took it as a sign that he was destined not to open up to Tohru, although I feel like he was misunderstanding Kyoko’s role. Still, he woke and felt the weight of the world on his shoulders once more – the burden of being the cat!
Meanwhile, Shigure was at the Soma estate when Ren pulled him into a room. He told her he knew that she used Rin and that she had failed to get the box. Ren didn’t know what was in the box but believed that it was something to do with her late husband Akira, the previous head of the Soma family.
Shigure revealed that he didn’t care for Ren of her games and that it all appeared to be too entertaining for him. He recalled the time they first met Akito and how Ren had looked at them then. Shigure believed they should pity her, he still does.
After stewing on his words for too long, Ren burst into Akito’s room with a knife and demanded that Akito give her the box. Akira was her love and if anyone was to have something of his, it was her. The maids and Kureno could only watch as Akito pretty much laughed in Ren’s face before throwing the box across the room.
Akito remembered how Ren had told her that the bonds would break and she would discover that no one loved her for her. Of course, Akito believed it completely and wasn’t concerned in the slightest. However, she must have known as Kureno had already broken free.
Akito then grabbed the knife and went to stab Ren, but as she did a bond broke. It was Hiro who noticed instantly. He had been sitting with his new sister and felt the urge to pick her up. Their mother came in and knew instantly what had happened. Hiro struggled with his emotions. That was nothing compared to Akito. Kureno tried to tell her that she could change, but for her, it was too late. Why had he waited until now? She drove the knife into his back and told him to die to make up for what he did to her!
What did you think?
Well, I didn’t see that coming. The following scene with Arisa looking at a dead bird is obviously quite troubling given that Kureno was the rooster, even if his ties to birds had long since vanished. I can’t help but wonder what they are showing us here if it’s not confirmation that Kureno will die.
The main thing here was just how twisted the head maid is and what she has done to this family. Of course, she’s not entirely to blame for everything. Akito and Ren have both made their choices and it was hard to sympathise with any of them. Kureno stayed with Akito out of pity, I’m sure of it and that has come back to bite him.
Also, with Kyo’s dream, I can’t help but Kyoko was saying that she wouldn’t forgive him if he gave up and went to the Cat’s House. That seems like something Kyoko would say and do. She would want him to rebel against it. Fight. Do whatever he has to do. Hopefully, Tohru can get through to him.
What have you learnt?
So, I’ve noticed that it’s been confirmed that this season will be just thirteen episodes long. Argh! That means that this was the mid-point… We’ve only got six episodes left and I feel like the bonds are going to start breaking left, right, and centre from here on.
Hopefully, we will see that Tohru is the cause of it and not that it was just a coincidence. I hate coincidences in fiction. They seem so lazy and detract from the effort and growth of the characters. I think we’re going to be in for a harrowing run towards the end and once more, Akito has shown us that she needs to experience some sort of retribution for what she has done.
Buckle up, grab some tissues, I think things are about to get emotional!
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now
- Season Three
- Episode 51 – I’ll Hold Another Banquet
- Episode 52 – That’s an Unwavering Truth
- Episode 53 – I Hope It Snows Soon
- Episode 54 – I’m… Home.
- Episode 55 – I Mean… You Know, Right?
- Episode 56 – It Was So Foolish
- Episode 57 – That’s Right, It’s Empty
- Episode 58 – I’m Disappointed in You
- Episode 59 – What’s Your Name?
- Episode 60 – I Just Love Her
- Episode 61 – Goodbye