Tohru’s rice balls are going down well, but it might be Yuki in a dress that is drawing in the crowd. It even pulled in a couple more Somas!
What did you watch?
We’ve reached episode 6 of Fruits Basket, which may or may not be the halfway point. Currently, there’s been no announcement on how many episodes there will be, but given that the title screen says season 1, I think it’s safe to say there will be a season 2. Sure, that doesn’t help us with the length of this season, but at least we can rest easy, knowing that there are many more to come, one way or another.
It’s the day of the Culture Festival and Tohru’s rice balls are a hit, although she is reluctant to take all the credit, some of that must surely go to Yuki who is wearing a dress! Everything seems to be going well, other than the dress until two more Somas show up. The first is Momiji, a half German, half Japanese boy who Tohru briefly met before and the second is Hatori, he’s a doctor.
After Momiji transforms into a rabbit upon hugging Tohru, they escape to the rooftop to hide. Tohru’s friends track her down and ask what’s going on. A little flabbergasted that they might suggest that she is dating Yuki, she accidentally lets it out that she is living with them. Her friends, unsure of the situation, immediately invite themselves over for a sleepover to check things out…
What did you think?
This was another really good episode. It didn’t quite have the punch of the last episode, but I really enjoyed getting to see more of Tohru’s friends. Despite the vibe they give off, they are both dedicated to Tohru’s well-being and you can see how much it upset them that they had no idea what Tohru had been going through.
What was your favourite moment?
I think Hatori had some great moments in this episode. The first was when he told Yuki that the threatening glare he was giving him wasn’t quite so effective in a pink dress. Then I had to laugh at how he tricked them into posing for a photo for Akito. Finally, having been warned by Yuki that Tohru should not see Hatori alone, we manage to end the episode with Hatori telling her to come to see him alone… I think he’s going to be the snake.
What was your least favourite moment?
I really felt sorry for Tohru’s friends, Hanajima and Uotani. They have always looked out for Tohru, but even then she couldn’t tell them she had been living in a tent. It turns out I think she’d been keeping a lot from them, especially as she only recently told them the story behind the hat. The hat that so obviously belongs to Yuki!
Who was your favourite character?
I’m glad I wasn’t the only one excited when I learned that Shigure was a writer. It makes sense now why I instantly took a liking to the guy… he’s me but in a Yukata. I wish I could pull off one of those and look half as cool. Seriously, though he is my favourite character in the whole things so far, beating out Hanajima and Uotani although if it came to a fight, my money would be on the girls.
Who was your least favourite character?
Sure, he’s a kid, but Momiji was incredibly annoying. There’s nothing more too it, he just got under my skin.
Would you like some more?
Surprisingly, I am really enjoying this series and am looking forward to watching it each week. Even beyond the Tohru and Yuki and Kyo dynamic, there is some interesting stuff that I can’t wait to see more of. Who is the mysterious Akito? Who put the zodiac curse on the Somas and why? They’ve done a great job of giving us enough information to keep us happy, while still keeping a lot of it to themselves.
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now