Tohru’s family are going to Hawaii for New Year and leaving her behind, which is fine by her, she’d rather stay at Shigure’s house all on her own…
What did you watch?
This season is flying by. That was episode 8 of Fruits Basket and as you would expect, it’s full of more heartwarming situations. This show is as far from my normal choice as possible, but that’s not stopping me from having a great time. The mystery of the Somas really is quite intriguing. Still no news on how many episodes there will be so we’re still flying blind.
It’s almost New Year and Tohru is discussing her plans with her friends. Her delightful family have decided to go to Hawaii and leave her behind. As usual, Tohru is fine with that and would rather stay at Shigure’s house, even if they all have to go to the Soma estate for the festivities. When she asks Shigure if it’s all right, he, of course, allows her to stay, but then Yuki and Kyo decide that they’re going to stay too!
Tohru manages to convince them that she’ll be fine and that they should be with their family. They set off, leaving Tohru at home alone for the holiday, however, on the way the estate they bump into Saki who tells them about how it will be Tohru’s first New Year without her mother. Of course, Yuki and Kyo ditch their plans to run back and make sure she’s all right!
What did you think?
It felt like not a lot happened, but at the same time, I couldn’t look away. We got to see Tohru once again sacrificing herself to make sure that she didn’t impose on anyone. She really is a glutton for punishment and hasn’t learnt from the incident at her Grandfather’s house. Luckily, her friends are always looking out for her. On top of that, Shigure continues to drop these little bombs. He’s a great character to keep an eye on.
What was your favourite moment?
I’m not normally a fan of breaking the fourth wall, but this was a great moment because Saki is such a mystery, it makes sense that she would do it in this way. Having just received a phone call from Arisa, Tohru was talking with Yuki and Kyo, when Yuki commented on how much her friends are always looking out for her. Tohru agreed and promised to call Saki first in the New Year. Cut to Saki watching TV with her family. She turns her head and looks through the screen, possibly even your soul, and says “I’ll be waiting.”
What was your least favourite moment?
So, when are these boys going to start pitching in with the housework? Yuki and Kyo just ran all the way home to make sure Tohru was all right, ditching their family plans. When they get there, Tohru makes them dinner and then once everyone has eaten she collected their bowls and takes them to the kitchen to clean up, leaving Yuki sitting back like a prince and Kyo lying on the floor like a… well, a cat! Get up and help her you lazy bastards!
Who was your favourite character?
This is easy. Saki is a great character and while she only had a couple of fairly small parts to play in this episode she continued to wow with her presence. She really is a mystery and the most likely to figure out the truth about the Somas. When she appeared behind Shigure with a stark warning, scaring the life out of him, was hilarious.
Who was your least favourite character?
I still can’t work out Akito. Admittedly, there hasn’t been enough to really get to the bottom of things, but I am looking forward to that. It was great seeing Shigure take such pleasure in taunting Akito, which seems to be one of his favourite pastimes.
Would you like some more?
Absolutely, I’m ready and waiting. There’s going to be some ramifications for Yuki and Kyo missing the New Year’s party and I feel like Tohru is going to be on the receiving end. Hopefully, Shigure will appear in the nick of time to suitably chastise Akito and whisk her back to Yuki and Kyo, although if they haven’t even put the kettle on for some tea, she’s better off without them.
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now
- Season Three
- Episode 51 – I’ll Hold Another Banquet
- Episode 52 – That’s an Unwavering Truth
- Episode 53 – I Hope It Snows Soon
- Episode 54 – I’m… Home.
- Episode 55 – I Mean… You Know, Right?
- Episode 56 – It Was So Foolish
- Episode 57 – That’s Right, It’s Empty
- Episode 58 – I’m Disappointed in You
- Episode 59 – What’s Your Name?
- Episode 60 – I Just Love Her
- Episode 61 – Goodbye
- Episode 62 – You Fought Well
- Episode 63 – See You Again Soon