Astraea just told Sugata that she was sent to kill Tomoki because his dreams were a direct link to the Synapse. He ties her up, but Mikako lets her go because she’s got a new plan for the annual festival – wrestling!
Heaven’s Lost Property (Episode 17) – Forte: A Proud-fought Battle
Tomoki and the girls donned their Yukatas for the annual festival with hopes of candy apples and fun games, but no one seemed to account for Mikako’s sinister desires to mess with everybody. Like last year, she had organised a special game for all of the citizens to take part in. This year, however, the contest would be sumo wrestling and the prize is ten million yen and a bath with the Satsukitane geishas.
While the citizens prepare for the matches, the commentary team sets the stage. A big guy opens the proceedings, Nymph asks what’s sumo to which Sugata replies not this, and then Nymph asks what it tastes like. Regardless the first match is about to start and Tomoki is about to get into character and it has to be the greatest wrestling persona ever – Mask du Pants!
Mask du Pants takes no time alienating himself from the female spectators as he wins his first match due to some outrageous groping. Everyone is shocked, but apparently, there’s nothing in the rules about it. Ikaros wins her match in seconds and has to be pulled away by Sohara who is the referee. Next up is Sugata versus Mikako and that doesn’t last much longer. Mikako has an iron grip!
After a tag-team match in which Mask du Pants and Ikaros face Nymph and Astraea, who is dressed like a sumo wrestler, only Mask du Pants advances. He will have to face Mikako for the championship, but don’t expect it to be anything but insane. When they enter the ring Mask du Pants clearly has something stuffed down his shorts, but when they call him on it, he says they’re welcome to check, which they don’t. Anyhow, it turned out to be oil that Mask du Pants uses to escape from Mikako’s grip.
Next, Mask du Pants manages to remove Mikako’s bra and add it to his mask. Then out of nowhere another masked wrestler appears, leaping from the lighting above the cage and chopping through the metal bars. This new wrestler destroys Mask du Pants. Even then, he climbs to his feet, raising a fist in the air. Sugata climbs into the ring and declares the new masked wrestler the winner because Mask du Pants is dead on his feet. Epic!
What did you think?
I absolutely love this episode. I love Mask du Pants. I love the festival. I just love it! This is one of those episodes where I just laughed from beginning to end. There were so many brilliant little gags sprinkled throughout, even before we address Tomoki’s wrestling persona. Honestly, this was as good an episode as the exploding panties.
In the end, though, they declared Tomoki the winner. However, they then made him face the gun booth guy who shot him with cork bullets to win. Yes, it was funny, but I felt like Mask du Pants actually deserved to get something out of the competition. For entertainment value alone, the guy is legendary.
After all, he is the undertaker of underwear. He is Mask du Pants! Maybe come Halloween and I don’t have anything planned, I could become Mask du Pants… well, if I didn’t have kids or knew actual people… All right, maybe I won’t dress up as Mask du Pants, but he’s still the greatest wrestling persona of all time, ever, anywhere!
What have you learnt?
I think every series needs a Mikako. She is an agent of chaos and it adds so much to the story. Sure, she’s one of Tomoki’s friends and part of the inner group, but that doesn’t stop her from doing whatever she wants. It adds an element of randomness to the show that allows anything to happen and it’s usually amazing.
For the most part, she doesn’t actually do much. She has some amazing lines and lean in moments, but her main role is to shake things up anytime anyone starts to get comfortable. I think you’ll find that without Mikako, this could have been a fairly straightforward story that focused on the Synapse and the Angeloids, but it wouldn’t have been nearly as funny.
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – A Full-frontal Hero Arises in the World!
- Episode 2 – An Airborne Prismatic Panty Adventure
- Episode 3 – Angeloid Directive Zero
- Episode 4 – Love and Triangles, Revisited
- Episode 5 – Hot Night With the Big Fish
- Episode 6 – Swimsuit Surf Brigade, Go! Go! Go!
- Episode 7 – The Brainy, Heart-pounding Transfer Students
- Episode 8 – For Whom the Shooting Festival is Held
- Episode 9 – The Delusional Story That Began With a Lie
- Episode 10 – Where the Melodious Words Of an Angel Go
- Episode 11 – Off We Go To My Bathhouse Paradise
- Episode 12 – Chains of No Escape
- Episode 13 – Queen of the Sky
- OVA 1
- Season Two: Forte
- Episode 15 – You Strip, Too! The Return of the Full-frontal Hero
- Episode 16 – Bombshell! The Angel is a Big Boob
- Episode 17 – A Proud-fought Battle
- Episode 18 – Mortal Combat! Hot Spring Snowball Fight at 1.4° Below
- Episode 19 – The Brother Who Came From Heaven
- Episode 20 – Reach a Decision! The Up and Down of Heaven and Hell
- Episode 21 – Eating Watermelon Tomoki
- Episode 22 – The Song of the Angels Echoes in the Sky
- Episode 23 – Shoot-out! Fishing At the Jumbo Carnival of Dreams
- Episode 24 – Peek Into the Fantasy Field
- Episode 25 – The Edge of an Indiscriminate Requiem
- Episode 26 – Forte Wings Soaring for Tomorrow
- The Angeloid of Clockwork
- Eternal My Master