Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III (Episode 4) – Aspiration | Distant Dream
Bell and the others are treated to dinner and dancing by the Xenos. It gives them a chance to really meet them and understand what they are and how they came to be. However, Dix is on the trail and he wants to hunt!
Lyd tells Bell that he has a memory of a ball of fire descending behind a wall of mountains and the sky turns red like blood. Bell asks if he’s talking about a sunset and wonders whether Lyd had been to the surface. Through a saddened expression Lyd confirmed that he had never been to the surface, but how could he have the memory. Lyd points out that Weine learnt to talk very quickly. He then said that it’s as if they are remembering that they can talk. Bell remembered the story that Weine told him about a memory she had. He’d believed that it was a dream, but now he’s not so sure.
The Xenos are ready to move on to the next safe space and they are taking Weine with them. She’s not safe on the surface and she would just put Hestia’s Familia in danger. Bell promised to see her again. Back at the surface, they found Hestia waiting for them. They had so many questions and she had no answers. Even after Ouranos explained what he knew, it really didn’t give her anything concrete to tell them, but if the monsters are being reborn into the dungeon, then nothing is as they believed it to be.
Weine was travelling with her new group of friends when she heard a cry in the distance. They followed the sound and walked straight into Dix’s trap.
What did you think?
This was a much slower episode than normal and a lot of it was just character talking, but it was impossible to look away. They covered a lot of ground and pretty much confirmed my thoughts after the first episode that Weine’s memories were just that. She could remember all of her past lives, or glimmers of them. You could probably argue that the monsters are advancing at a greater speed than humans due to the shorter lifespans. It’s possibly for a monster to have lived many lives in the time a human lives one. I think this episode raised some very interesting ideas and I hope that it follows through with them, although I still can’t take a pantomine villain called Dix seriously. So far, he’s the worst thing about this season.
What have you learnt?
I love the idea of shaking up the balance of the world by introducing something as simple as a sentient monster. It certainly changed Bell and Welf, making it hard for them to fight the monsters in the dungeon. I liked that Lyd tried to put their minds at ease by showing that they too fight the monsters and if Bell and the others hesitate they will die. After all, those monsters are not sentient. It’s good to have a distinction, but I also like that it’s going to play on their minds. I’m wondering if Freya has anything to do with the Xenos. She did send her Familia member to give a sword to a minotaur back in season one. Who knows what any of the gods are up to?
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- OVA One
- Season Two
- Episode 0 – Past & Future
- Episode 1 – Party | Banquet of the Gods
- Episode 2 – Apollo | Sun God
- Episode 3 – Conversion | Gathering
- Episode 4 – War Game | War Game
- Episode 5 – Home | The Hearthfire Mansion
- Episode 6 – Ishtar Familia | City of Lust
- Episode 7 – Renard | Fox Person
- Episode 8 – Ephemeral Dreams | Killing Stone
- Episode 9 – Berbera | War Prostitutes
- Episode 10 – Argonaut | Longing to Be a Hero
- Episode 11 – Rakia | Army’s Advance
- Episode 12 – Song of Love | Goddess and Child
- OVA Two
- Season Three
- Episode 1 – Wiene Dragon’s Daughter
- Episode 2 – Monster | One Wing
- Episode 3 – Xenos | Outliers
- Episode 4 – Aspiration | Distant Dream
- Episode 5 – Ikelos Familia | King of Atrocity
- Episode 6 – Knossos | Man-Made Labyrinth
- Episode 7 – Dix Perdix | The Dreams of Beasts
- Episode 8 – Bell Cranel | The Fool
- Episode 9 – Stigma | Downfall
- Episode 10 – Invisible | Forced Breakthrough
- Episode 11 – Ultra Soul | Decisive Battle
- Episode 12 – Argonaut | Hero’s Return
- OVA Three
- Bonus Posts
- Series Review
- Volume 1 – I Want to Get Stronger
- Volume 2 – Monsterphilia