Kazuma is settling into his new home with Aqua, Darkness, and Megumin, however, he still has needs… Luckily, a couple of friends introduce him to just the place to take care of those needs… if you know what I mean!
Before he knows it, Kazuma finds himself in a succubus shop. It’s a closely guarded secret among male adventurers. Here, you can request anything that you want and one of the succubi will visit you in the night and make your fantasy play out in your dreams. They will take a little of your vitality, but not enough to slow you down. After all, they want you to come back. It all sounds too good… it could be the answer to world peace… or not!
When Kazuma gets home, he discovers that Darkness’ family have sent a lavish feast of crab and expensive booze. It’s incredible and Kazuma can’t stop eating. Then Aqua shows they a new way to drink the booze with the crab and it is incredible. At least, that’s what Aqua and Darkness said. Kazuma was warned by the succubi that he shouldn’t drink too much else they might not be able to enter his dream.
With that in mind, Kazuma went to bed early, but he can’t relax. He’s too excited, nervous, and excited, so he decides to take a bath. The hot air takes the edge off and before he knows it, he falls asleep. He wakes sometime later to find the lanterns have burnt out and someone is entering the bathroom. At first, he panics, but what if this is the dream. He did fall asleep.
To his surprise, Darkness walks in completely naked. To be fair, she’s even more surprised to see him, especially when he steps out of the bath and tells her to wash his back. It’s a dream, there’s no point being coy. Darkness is stunned and doesn’t know what to do, but his forceful tone and condescending attitude leaves her no choice but to wash his back.
Before anything else can happen, they hear Aqua yelling. Kazuma grabs a tiny pink towel and runs out to see what is going on. He finds Aqua and Megumin stood over a succubus, trapped in a spell. Kazuma realises what has happened and steps between the succubus and his friends. Darkness comes running and tells them that Kazuma has been bewitched. They demand he stands down, but he can’t do that. He tells the succubi to run before taking a beating from the girls.
What did you think?
I’m not crying, you’re crying… Seriously, this episode was fantastic. I just laughed and laughed and laughed. The moment that Kazuma woke up and thought that this was the dream was amazing. His entire demeanour changed as he ordered Darkness around and strut around with a confidence, unlike anything we’ve ever seen.
It all just worked so perfectly.
Then, at the end of the episode, as Kazuma attempted to claim that he had no memory of the previous night, the sirens rang out as the Destroyer approached. There have been a lot of little mentions of the Destroyer and Kazuma has never got a straight answer out of anyone, so it’s great that we will finally get to see what all the fuss is about.
What have you learnt?
I’d like to think that everything in this season so far has been just to foreshadow this episode. It probably wasn’t, but that doesn’t make any less likely… It was literally an alignment of everything that had happened so far, and for me, that made the scene that much better. It all made sense, even as ridiculous as it was. Foreshadowing is one of my favourite tools as a writer and if you can create a situation that seems so completely unpredictable, but completely obvious, then you have done it right. If the audience is surprised and it doesn’t make sense, you will leave them with a nasty feeling – that is the Deus ex Machina effect, where you drop something into the story from nowhere to fix things. Don’t do that… unless you’re being ironic…
What is Aqua wearing?
In episode nine of Konosuba: God’s Blessing on this Wonderful World!, Aqua was wearing pyjamas the entire episode. Just drinking in her pyjamas. That, unfortunately, didn’t create a scenario where we could move any further with the investigation. So, to make up for this lack of evidence, here’s Darkness and Kazuma’s bums. You’ll note that neither of them is wearing panties. I have nothing further to add. The prosecution rests.
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – This Self-Proclaimed Goddess and Reincarnation in Another World!
- Episode 2 – An Explosion for This Chunibyo!
- Episode 3 – A Panty Treasure in This Right Hand!
- Episode 4 – Explosion Magic for This Formidable Enemy!
- Episode 5 – A Price for This Cursed Sword!
- Episode 6 – A Conclusion to This Worthless Fight!
- Episode 7 – A Second Death in This Freezing Season!
- Episode 8 – A Loving Hand for Our Party When We Can’t Make It Through Winter!
- Episode 9 – God’s Blessing on This Wonderful Shop!
- Episode 10 – Final Flame for this Over-the-top Fortress!
- OVA One
- Season Two
- Episode 12 – Give Me Deliverance From This Judicial Injustice!
- Episode 13 – A Friend for This Crimson Demon Girl!
- Episode 14 – Peace for the Master of This Labyrinth!
- Episode 15 – A Betrothed for This Noble Daughter!
- Episode 16 – Servitude for This Masked Knight!
- Episode 17 – Goodbye to This Irritating Living World!
- Episode 18 – An Invitation for This Knucklehead!
- Episode 19 – Sightseeing in This Pitiful City!
- Episode 20 – A Goddess for This Corrupt Hot Springs Town!
- Episode 21 – God’s Blessing on This Wonderful Party!
- OVA Two