Rudeus sets sail for the Central Continent and their home. However, Roxy has arrived in Rikarisu City where she meets an old party member. He convinces her to visit her parents, especially since he is now a father.
Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation (Episode 18) – Separate Journeys
Before setting sail, Dead End had to travel across the Milis Continent by horse. On the way, many strong warriors arrived hoping to test their skills against Ruijerd. None of them came even close, but it showed that the reputation of the Superd was slowly changing. Once on the ship, Eris struggled with seasickness and begged Rudeus to heal her, however, he wasn’t doing much better this time. At least, they were able to all travel on the same boat this time.
Meanwhile, Roxy arrived at Rikarisu City at the heart of the Demon Continent. She took a little time to catch up with an old party member. He commented about how she had matured. Not sure whether to be offended or not, Roxy asked if he was still taking advantage of weak adventurers for financial gain. He laughed, but in reality, he hadn’t done so since it all backfired on him two years ago with a party called Dead End!
Regardless, he managed to convince Roxy to visit her parents when he found out she hadn’t been back since she ran away many years ago. When Roxy arrived, it was almost exactly as she remembered, silent and uncomfortable. Everyone in her village communicates by telepathy. Everyone but Roxy. She can’t understand them and it hurts.
After seeing her parents, Roxy was ready to turn around and leave, but her mother made her promise to come back every twenty years. Roxy countered with fifty, but then she noticed her mother crying and realised that they did miss her. She wasn’t the disappointment she assumed she was. That was followed by a lot of crying and hugging!
What did you think?
It was nice to see an episode focus on Roxy again as she continues her search for Rudeus. Seeing her get so close before and then again as she met with the adventurer that almost lost his life from trying to extort Rudeus was pretty funny. However, the real focus of the episode was Roxy reuniting with her parents. It was a great moment and in a lot of ways mirrored what happened in the last episode between Paul and Rudeus. I can’t help but wonder if they’re setting us up for a third in the next episode that won’t go so well!
For me though, the best thing in this episode was realising what it must have been like for Roxy growing up there. Her exasperation at why no one would talk to her was hard to watch and the constant flashes of light and disrupted noise as the other members of the clan tried to communicate with her must have driven her crazy. Not to mention the constant silence that would blanket a village of telepaths. It must have been truly horrifying for a small child.
What have you learnt?
I just mentioned how it might be setting us up and if this follows the rules of three then we could be in for some serious heartbreak in the next episode. In the last episode, we saw Paul and Rudeus get back together after their monumental fight the episode before. This time we saw Roxy reunite with her parents after she ran away at a young age. What could possibly happen in the next one?
Well, Rudeus, Eris, and Ruijerd are heading to the Central Continent which was Rudeus and Eris’ home. It could very well be that one of these will have a not so pleasant family reunion. As Rudeus just had one, my money is on Eris finding out about her grandfather, however, I don’t think it’ll stop there. Both Roxy and Rudeus reconnected with their parents, so I believe that will find that something terrible has happened to them too. It’s just a hunch based on what’s happened so far, but I would come prepared for a shock in the next episode.
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Part 1
- Episode 1 – Jobless Reincarnation
- Episode 2 – Master
- Episode 3 – A Friend
- Episode 4 – Emergency Family Meeting
- Episode 5 – A Young Lady and Violence
- Episode 6 – A Day Off in Roa
- Episode 7 – What Lies Beyond Effort
- Episode 8 – Turning Point 1
- Episode 9 – A Chance Encounter
- Episode 10 – The Value of a Life and the First Job
- Episode 11 – Children and Warriors
- Part 2
- Episode 12 – The Woman with the Demon Eyes
- Episode 13 – Missed Connections
- Episode 14 – No Such Thing As a Free Lunch
- Episode 15 – Slow Life in the Doldia Village
- Episode 16 – Family Squabble
- Episode 17 – Reunion
- Episode 18 – Separate Journeys
- Episode 19 – Route Selection
- Episode 20 – The Birth of My Little Sister, the Maid
- Episode 21 – Turning Point 2
- Episode 22 – Dreams and Reality
- Episode 23 – Wake Up and Take a Step
- Part 1
- Season Two
- Part 1
- Episode 0 – Guardian Fitz
- Episode 1 – The Brokenhearted Mage
- Episode 2 – The Forest in the Dead of Night
- Episode 3 – Abrupt Approach
- Episode 4 – Letter of Invitation
- Episode 5 – Ranoa University of Magic
- Episode 6 – I Don’t Want to Die
- Episode 7 – The Kidnapping and Confinement of Beast Girls
- Episode 8 – The Fiancé of Despair
- Episode 9 – The White Mask
- Episode 10 – These Feelings
- Episode 11 – To You
- Part 1