A forest spirit finds a small human child alone in the forest and goes on an adventure to find other humans so that she might have a normal life, but humans have become almost extinct… and they sure are tasty!
The Golem, a guardian of the forest, watches over it but never interferes. That was until he came across a small human child alone in the forest. She had a broken chain around her neck and was dressed in rags, but rather than being afraid of the Golem, she called him daddy! The Golem decides to leave the forest and take Somali on an adventure to find other humans. They will both experience a strange new world and make startling discoveries, and not just about the world.
What was your favourite element?
I really enjoyed the dialogue between Somali and the Golem. It was fascinating to see the different approaches of the logical and emotionless Golem versus the curious and playful Somali. I can’t help but wonder if this is an allegory for fathers and children, playing on the old-fashioned beliefs of the father figure being cold and logical. I’m certainly aware of it in Western culture and I have a feeling it’s even more prominent in the East. Of course, that’s not to say that everyone is like that, but it struck me as an interesting parallel.
What have you learnt?
I always going on about branching out and watching/reading genres that you wouldn’t normally. If you’re interested in becoming a writer, I think it’s paramount, especially a genre other than the one you write in. Slice of Life has never been something that appealed to me, so slapping it in a fantasy setting is certainly the way to ease me in. There is a lot to be learnt from stepping outside your comfort zone and it will help enrich your writing for sure. As with this episode, I love the idea of taking something like the father-child relationship and pushing it to the extremes.
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – Journeying Parent and Child
- Episode 2 – Edible Herbs and the Oni’s Dwelling
- Episode 3 – The Sea at the Bottom of the Cave
- Episode 4 – The Wishing Flower and the Promise Request
- Episode 5 – The Wandering Birds
- Episode 6 – Dying Flowers Look Up at the Birds
- Episode 7 – The Footsteps That Stalk the Witches
- Episode 8 – Meetings and Bonds Prayed For
- Episode 9 – Memories of Minor Days
- Episode 10 – The Infant Child and the Green Fortress
- Episode 11 – Those Who Protect and Those Who Threaten
- Episode 12 – Bonded Father and Child
- Bonus Posts
Somali and the Forest Spirit Blu-ray – $45.49
from: Right Stuf, Inc.
Somali Somali and the Forest Spirit Nendoroid Figure – $63.99
from: Right Stuf, Inc.