Somali and the Golem get caught in a sudden downpour and take shelter in a Tappers’ cabin only for a couple of familiar faces to come knocking at the door, also seeking a place where they can wait for the rain to stop.
It’s the monster equivalent of a sugar shack! In an area of the forest where the trees produce a sap with a high sugar content, Somali and the Golem find a cabin and enter so as to escape from the rain. It appears to belong to tappers, but it’s not the season, so it is empty. Somali can’t sleep and convinces the Golem to make some food. He uses some of the supplies in the cabin to make a souffle. Not long after finishing, there is a knock at the door. When the Golem opens it, he’s surprised to see Shizuno and Yabashira. They are on their way to a nearby town to learn about dentistry and are happy to have Somali and the Golem come with them.
What was your favourite element?
I have two children and regularly cook with them, so the look on Somali’s face when the Golem was backing the souffle was pretty much exactly as I would have expected it to be. The only real difference is that I only get to stir the batter once the kids have had a turn first. Otherwise this scene was as fun and heartwarming as you would expect from this series. I think other than the more darker elements of the overall story, the best moments have been when it’s just been Somali and the Golem.
What have you learnt?
Don’t pick fights with Golems! That may seem kind of obvious, but it’s surprising how few characters in this series seem to realise that. Anyhow, I do have one grumble with this episode and that was Somali’s tooth coming loose and then the coincidence of them meeting Shizuno and Yabashira who are going to learn about dentistry. It was definitely not the smoothest of buildups and left me shaking my head. I love it when things seem to come together naturally, but this was far too heavy handed and lacked any subtly. I think it’s been a fair criticism of the show in general as it doesn’t do subtle too well. Otherwise, it was as good as you might expect from this series.
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – Journeying Parent and Child
- Episode 2 – Edible Herbs and the Oni’s Dwelling
- Episode 3 – The Sea at the Bottom of the Cave
- Episode 4 – The Wishing Flower and the Promise Request
- Episode 5 – The Wandering Birds
- Episode 6 – Dying Flowers Look Up at the Birds
- Episode 7 – The Footsteps That Stalk the Witches
- Episode 8 – Meetings and Bonds Prayed For
- Episode 9 – Memories of Minor Days
- Episode 10 – The Infant Child and the Green Fortress
- Episode 11 – Those Who Protect and Those Who Threaten
- Episode 12 – Bonded Father and Child