Well spends his days learning magic from Alfred, but little does he know that their time together is limited and soon he will have to take what he’s learnt and make it on his own. He is the eighth son after all!
As Well trained with Alfred, his father noticed that the magic testing orb had been moved. Then, together with his eldest son, he has a good laugh about the idea, although the son can’t help but worry. If Well has magic he could challenge the succession and become lord himself. Alfred warns him of this and how it would be dangerous for a child to end up in a situation like that, so they must hide his magic and train far in the woods where no one can see them. However, a rumour of a whispering dead reaches the lord’s ears and he warns his family over dinner. Well’s sister asks what a whispering dead is and as the lord explains, Well’s heart sinks!
What did you think?
On the whole, this was a fairly uninspiring episode although it wasn’t bad. There were some funny moments such as Alfred using wasabi as if it were ketchup, but then it had no effect on him. That’s right, Alfred was the whispering dead which is a person that is on their way to becoming a zombie. Woohoo! Only the second episode and we are well on our way to a fantasy world zombie apocalypse… Well, at least that’s where I hope we’re heading, especially as I doubt it’s going to do anything with the ideas that I put forward in my spin-off idea – Two Minds, One Body!
What have you learnt?
I’m glad that we’ve had a little time skip and Well ended the episode as a twelve-year-old about to head into the world and become an adventurer. My only hope is that adventurer school is not just another high school and it more focused on the practicals such as Well going on adventures. I’m not sure why high school seems to trump adventures in anime, but it really seems to get the bulk of the attention. I do feel like these first two episodes could have been a double-length episode and it would have been a nice intro to the series. I was also thinking that it was a brutal way to test the magic of a five-year-old, but then Well was a twenty-something office worker only a few weeks back.
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – The 8th Son? Are You Kidding Me?
- Episode 2 – A Succession Dispute? Are You Kidding Me?
- Episode 3 – A Loner? Are You Kidding Me?!
- Episode 4 – Obligations? Are You Kidding Me?!
- Episode 5 – Political Marriage? Are You Kidding Me?!
- Episode 6 – A Bullet Tour? Are You Kidding Me?!
- Episode 7 – No Magic? Are You Kidding Me?!
- Episode 8 – Presumed Dead? Are You Kidding Me?!
- Episode 9 – People Hate Me? Are You Kidding Me?!
- Episode 10 – Toxic? Are You Kidding Me?!
- Episode 11 – Between a Rock and a Hard Place? Are You Kidding Me?!
- Episode 12 – The 8th Son? I Guess That’s Not So Bad!
- Bonus Posts