Finally, a blogging award that somewhat fits with my weird and wonderful online persona, which is not to be confused with my offline persona, who is just weird and likes to be left alone.
That’s right! It’s yet another blogging award and this time I have Yumdeku to thank for the honour. The best thing is that I haven’t received this award yet, which is also kind of surprising since Yomu nominated Yumdeku and not me… Just kidding, it’s not like we’re the same person or anything… Now, you’re starting to wonder, aren’t you? How mysterious! Anyhow, let’s get on with the award.
- Put the award logo/image on your blog
- List the rules
- Thank whoever nominated you and provide a link to their blog
- Mention Okoto Enigma, the creator of the award and provide a link as well
- Tell your readers 3 things about yourself
- You have to nominate 10 – 20 people
- Notify your nominees by commenting on their blog
- Ask your nominees any 5 questions of your choice; with one weird or funny question (specify)
- Share a link to your best post(s)
3 Useless facts about the Otaku Author
I Don’t Like Sleep!
I once stayed awake for three whole days just to see if I could do it. If that’s not a good enough reason, I don’t know what is. When my wife would go away for business or school, I would have horror movie weekends where I would stay up all night watching scary movies because I love them and she hates them.
The time in question, however, was when I was eighteen and wanted to just see what would happen. Honestly, I got tired, but every so often I would get a second wind and forget all about it. When I was done, I just had a normal night’s sleep, so it didn’t seem like that big of a deal.
I’ve never been a huge fan of sleep. It’s always seemed like such a waste of time. One-third of your life spent lying around doing nothing when there is so much to do and see is annoying, but that’s just me.
My First Job
My first real job was as a lifeguard at a pleasure pool with a wave machine and slides. I ended up doing it all through school on weekends and holidays. In all, I was a lifeguard for almost six years. It has given me a great foundation in first aid, although I’m sure everything I learnt is now out of date. It’ll be better than nothing in a pinch, though.
I have saved a few people, almost exclusively children going out of their depth and one that wasn’t ready for the waves when they started up. It seems like a fairly glamorous job, but it is incredibly boring. The hardest part is staying alert. It’s impossible to turn off though as I still find myself watching everyone and making sure they’re safe whenever I go to a pool or the beach.
Not content with just watching films and anime about zombies, I love to take part in zombie runs. When I lived in New Zealand, there was a haunted attraction that held an annual 5km zombie run. It had obstacles and mazes and a lot of zombies. They were all professional actors and incredibly good at their job. I’ve done it twice and even dressed as Thor one year. I made Mjolnir myself and carried it around the entire race.
The Questions from Yumdeku
What are your thoughts about the paranormal?
You would think that someone that writes stories about vampires and zombies would be all over the paranormal scene, but in truth, I don’t believe in the paranormal. I enjoy it and love stories about it, but I’m also a very logical and scientific person and unfortunately, as much as I may want it, I really don’t see that there is any substance to it.
What anime, manga and gaming story that really stuck with you?
Is this a cheeky way of getting three answers? All right, I’ll play along. My favourite anime is Highschool of the Dead and yes, it is because of the story. I think it’s largely underrated and most either love it or hate it for the ecchi content, but I think it’s actually a very cleverly written zombie story and one of my all-time favourites in any medium.
It is probably my favourite manga too, but I’ll give you my second favourite for a bit of variety. Claymore is an excellent manga and goes way beyond what happened in the anime. It is just an insane ride and the Awakened Beings are incredible. They remind me of HR Giger’s art which is awesome and terrifying all at once.
For gaming, I’m going to go with the reboot of Tomb Raider where we play as Lara Croft on the adventure that made her who she is today. It was an incredible story of survival, while also being incredibly dark and full of the usual tombs and mysterious creatures as you might expect. I was almost disappointed once I’d completed it to 100%.
What is the sexiest and least sexy name?
I’m not convinced that a name along can be sexy or not. It’s like picking names for characters and children, you often have a picture of someone in your head when you read the name. If, I’m really pressed I’m going to go with Lynn and Lynne. You can decide which way round they go…
What is your plan for your blog?
Total world domination… I started blogging as a way to improve my writing and develop a platform for my books. The focus has shifted around a little bit over the years, but I’m pretty confident I know what I’m doing now. That was part of the decision to fully embrace the Otaku Author brand as it encompassed my love of anime while also reading as someone who is obsessed with being an author.
What is your favourite trait about yourself?
My stubbornness. That might seem like an odd trait to be proud of, but it’s all about the application. I know that I’m stubborn and I use that as a way to drive myself forward. Once, I’ve come up with a plan, I stick to it, whether I want to or not. My stubborn streak will not let me walk away. So, imagine how it works when I apply it to something that I love and want to do. You could call it determination, but I prefer to call it what it is.
My Favourite Post
This is a tough one since I recently unpublished everything when I moved domains. Since then, I’m slowly bringing them back while giving them an update. There are lots that I’m looking forward to seeing again, but my favourite since the relaunch is my short story – Isekai of the Dead.
And now for my Nominations!
- anniemeaddict at annieme.com
- Keiko at Keiko’s Anime Blog
- Claddily at Meriendeato
- The Overage Otaku at Confessions of an Overage otaku
- iniksbane at In Search of Number Nine — An anime blog
- Tiger at TigerAnime
- Inskidee at Inskime
- ospreyshire at Ospreyshire’s Realm
- animeandfanfiction at Fanfiction Anime World
- Yomu at Umai Yomu Anime Blog
And your questions are…
- What weird thing do you have nostalgia for?
- How good are you at drawing? (An example would be amazing.)
- What recent trend are you totally on board with?
- What are you hilariously bad at?
- If you were so wealthy you didn’t need to work, what would you do with your time?
Thanks for reading my responses to Yumdeku’s mysterious questions. I had a lot of fun answering them, so thanks again Yumdeku for nominating me.
Other Tag Posts
- Once a Geek! (The Geeky Childhood Tag)
- Chronicling the Otaku Author! (Blogger Recognition Award)
- Well, this is Neat! (Real Neat Blog Award)
- How Bizarre! (Mystery Blogger Award)
- Grab your Shades! (The Sunshine Blogger Award)
- Length Matters! (Give it a Light Novel Title)
- Anime Favorites A-Z Challenge
- My Unpopular Anime Opinions (The Unpopular Opinions Tag)
- Even More Dazzling Radiance! (The Sunshine Blogger Award)
- Length Really Matters! (Give it a Light Novel Title 2)
- Twenty Questions!? (Let’s Blog Award)
- Friends to the End! (The Bubble Tag)
- Putting Me in Anime! (The Kore Wa Watashi Blog Award)