Tanjiro begins his training to become a demon slayer. Luckily, we get the montage because two years of slashing and running down a mountain were enough to put even Nezuko to sleep.
What did you watch?
I hope that the first part of this review didn’t sound like I was disappointed with this episode. The truth is far from it. I was just joining in on the humour that Demon Slayer was providing. Who doesn’t love a good training montage? Especially when we’re dealing with two years worth of training. Anyhow, let’s get on with the review, complete with spoilers.
The episode began with Master Urokodaki getting Tanjiro up to speed on demons and the Demon Slayer Corp. It was a nice way to confirm the observations we’ve already made and fill in some of the gaps without being too much exposition. Next, we see Tanjiro writing in a journal as he prepares for his first day of training. Nezuko is asleep in her bed.
Master Urokodaki puts Tanjiro through hell., forcing him to run down the mountain while avoiding ever more deadly traps. Once that’s complete, he begins his sword work and then breathing exercises which seem to be a way for Urokodaki to continually beat Tanjiro. Then, after a year of training, Urokodaki informs Tanjiro that he has finished. All he has to do now is slice a boulder!
What did you think?
I am still absolutely loving this series. It has a great mix of humour and dark fantasy action. The tone is mysterious and the animation style is just beautiful. I’m also a sucker for a training montage as I just love to see how much a character can grow right before your eyes. And then there was the impossible task of slicing the boulder. I loved the whole section with Sabito and Makomo.
What was your favourite moment?
It was the last time Tanjiro faced off against Sabito, but that whole segment was excellent. Sabito was hilarious when he started laughing at Tanjiro’s concern that he only had a wooden sword. Then there was Makomo who was softer and had a more gentle approach. I feel like they were either spirits or figments of Tanjiro’s imagination.
What was your least favourite moment?
I was gutted to see that Nezuko slept through the whole training arc. It was probably for the best as it was something that Tanjiro needed to do alone, but either way, it was a shame.
Who was your favourite character?
We were limited to only a handful of characters, but still, Tanjiro was my favourite. As I said, I’m a sucker for the training montage and this one reminded me a little of Deku in My Hero Academia, if only in the feels department. His determination is incredible.
Who was your least favourite character?
It’s impossible to pick one. If I take away Tanjiro and Nezuko, that only leave Urokodaki, Sabito, and Makomo, so this section is redundant this week. Sorry, not really. In an ideal world, this section wouldn’t get used ever again and I’d just love everything I watch…
Would you like some more?
The next episode promises to be the toughest challenge yet for Tanjiro as he tries to complete the entrance test for the Demon Slayer Corps and not his hero academy. Ha! I don’t even care about the parallels because this series is awesome, too.
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – Cruelty
- Episode 2 – Trainer Sakonji Urokodaki
- Episode 3 – Sabito and Makomo
- Episode 4 – Final Selection
- Episode 5 – My Own Steel
- Episode 6 – Swordsman Accompanying a Demon
- Episode 7 – Muzan Kibutsuji
- Episode 8 – The Smell of Enchanting Blood
- Episode 9 – Temari Demon and Arrow Demon
- Episode 10 – Together Forever
- Episode 11 – Tsuzumi Mansion
- Episode 12 – The Boar Bares Its Fangs, Zenitsu Sleeps
- Episode 13 – Something More Important Than Life
- Episode 14 – The House with the Wisteria Family Crest
- Episode 15 – Mount Natagumo
- Episode 16 – Letting Someone Else Go First
- Episode 17 – You Must Master a Single Thing
- Episode 18 – A Forged Bond
- Episode 19 – Hinokami
- Episode 20 – Pretend Family
- Episode 21 – Against Corps Rules
- Episode 22 – Master of the Mansion
- Episode 23 – Hashira Meeting
- Episode 24 – Rehabilitation Training
- Episode 25 – Tsuguko, Kanao Tsuyuri
- Episode 26 – New Mission
- Season Two – Yuukaku-hen
- Episode 1 – Sound Hashira Tengen Uzui
- Episode 2 – Infiltrating the Entertainment District
- Episode 3 – What Are You?
- Episode 4 – Tonight
- Episode 5 – Things Are Gonna Get Real Flashy!
- Episode 6 – Layered Memories
- Episode 7 – Transformation
- Episode 8 – Gathering
- Episode 9 – Defeating an Upper Rank Demon
- Episode 10 – Never Give Up
- Episode 11 – No Matter How Many Lives
- Season Three – Katanakaji no Sato-hen
- Season One
- Bonus Posts