Tanjiro navigates a maze of rooms that seem to move around him. If he’s going to get out and save the children, he’s going to have to follow his nose!
What did you watch?
Episode 11 of Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba introduced a couple of new characters, one definitely a demon slayer and the other possibly a demon slayer and definitely a badass. So, in episode 12 we should get to see a little more of them and more of the awesome demon with the tsuzumi drums. There’s going to be a lot to get through, so let’s get it on!
Tanjiro had just come face to face with the tsuzumi demon when the demon slayer with the boar mask and two Nichirin swords. The tsuzumi demon seems to be incredibly frustrated that his house has been invaded by numerous people and just wants them to all go away. Just as the boar masked guy charges at him, the demon taps his tsuzumis and flips the room over. With each tap of the drums, the room shifts in a different direction. Soon, they are separated again as the rooms change.
Zenitsu leads the boy along a dark corridor, scared of every shadow and just fearful of everything. Another demon emerges from beneath a door and crawls after them, slashing at them with its tongue. Then, when the demon says it’s going to suck out their brains, Zenitsu passes out and starts to snore. The boy drags Zenitsu across the room, but escape is not possible. Then out of nowhere, Zenitsu comes to life.
What did you think?
I love this series. Absolutely love it. I’m still not entirely on board with the level of facial expressions of Zenitsu. When he’s afraid, which is pretty much the entire time he’s awake, he is very annoying, but when he’s in mortal danger a switch flips and he becomes someone else. One thing I like to do is to throw out predictions, and, would you believe it, in my review of the last episode I said, “I have no idea how he got through the final selection trial unless he has a split personality that kicks in when he’s in mortal danger.” There’s nothing like a bit of validation and quoting myself…
What was your favourite moment?
As annoying as Zenitsu is when he’s awake, his sleeping persona is a massive redeeming feature. Now, we just need to find a way to either keep him asleep or somehow let him know what happens when he falls asleep. During the final trial, he must have gone into auto-pilot for the whole thing and come out the other end with no idea how he survived. It makes his story fascinatingly tragic, now if they can just tone down the scaredy-cat act.
What was your least favourite moment?
There wasn’t too much that stood out as being odd in this episode, but there was one that made me go what! Tanjiro had just located the missing boy and reunited him with his sister. He obviously had some questions and so did the boy, so out of nowhere, Tanjiro’s crow appeared and gave them all a lesson on human blood. Where the hell did that crow come from? Does it hide in Tanjiro’s coat while on a mission? That kind of threw me.
Who was your favourite character?
I get the feeling that the guy with the boar mask is going to be a cool character. We don’t know if he’s an official demon slayer or not. He doesn’t have the uniform, but he does have two Nichirin swords, although he could have found those. It was interesting to see the different sword styles being utilized. Also, from the boar masked guy, he mentioned that his style was self-taught. I’m not sure why he would need to announce that every time he used it, but it was a great detail all the same.
Who was your least favourite character?
So, there ended up being three demons in the house, all attracted by the boy with the special type of blood. There’s the tsuzumi demon, the crawling demon with the tongue, and then some slow blobby looking demon. Seriously, two of these demons looked awesome and were brilliantly creepy and the third was a massive let down. The boar masked demon slayer didn’t even break a sweat defeating it.
Would you like some more?
The fight between the tsuzumi demon and Tanjiro is just getting started. It looks like it’s going to be awesome, especially with Tanjiro still suffering from his last fight. On top of that, the revelation that tsuzumi demon used to be one of Muzan Kibutsuji’s twelve demon moons until he was cut loose for not growing stronger. As if Tanjiro wasn’t in enough danger to start with now we know that this demon is tough. Bring it on!
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – Cruelty
- Episode 2 – Trainer Sakonji Urokodaki
- Episode 3 – Sabito and Makomo
- Episode 4 – Final Selection
- Episode 5 – My Own Steel
- Episode 6 – Swordsman Accompanying a Demon
- Episode 7 – Muzan Kibutsuji
- Episode 8 – The Smell of Enchanting Blood
- Episode 9 – Temari Demon and Arrow Demon
- Episode 10 – Together Forever
- Episode 11 – Tsuzumi Mansion
- Episode 12 – The Boar Bares Its Fangs, Zenitsu Sleeps
- Episode 13 – Something More Important Than Life
- Episode 14 – The House with the Wisteria Family Crest
- Episode 15 – Mount Natagumo
- Episode 16 – Letting Someone Else Go First
- Episode 17 – You Must Master a Single Thing
- Episode 18 – A Forged Bond
- Episode 19 – Hinokami
- Episode 20 – Pretend Family
- Episode 21 – Against Corps Rules
- Episode 22 – Master of the Mansion
- Episode 23 – Hashira Meeting
- Episode 24 – Rehabilitation Training
- Episode 25 – Tsuguko, Kanao Tsuyuri
- Episode 26 – New Mission
- Season Two – Yuukaku-hen
- Episode 1 – Sound Hashira Tengen Uzui
- Episode 2 – Infiltrating the Entertainment District
- Episode 3 – What Are You?
- Episode 4 – Tonight
- Episode 5 – Things Are Gonna Get Real Flashy!
- Episode 6 – Layered Memories
- Episode 7 – Transformation
- Episode 8 – Gathering
- Episode 9 – Defeating an Upper Rank Demon
- Episode 10 – Never Give Up
- Episode 11 – No Matter How Many Lives
- Season Three – Katanakaji no Sato-hen
- Season One
- Bonus Posts