When Wakana Gojo’s parents died, he went to live with his grandfather and soon fell in love with Hina Dolls. As a result, he keeps to himself, aware that his passion might look odd. That was until Marin burst into his life!
My Dress-Up Darling (Volume 1) – I Don’t Suppose You’d Make My Cosplay?!
Wakana Gojo dreams of becoming a kashirashi, an artisan who specialises in Hina Dolls just like his grandfather. However, his grandfather has been doing it for more than forty years. Gojo knows he needs to put in the time, but his grandfather is worried that he will burn himself out and alienate himself from friends. Come to think of it, does Gojo have any friends? He lies to his grandfather, but ever since he was yelled at by a school friend for liking Hina Dolls, he’s kept his passion a secret. High school has changed that one bit. He listens to the other students, but can’t understand half of what they are talking about. It’s best to keep his head down.
Then, a girl bumped into his desk and asked if he was all right. She even knew his name. She was Marin Kitagawa, the school beauty queen. There were even rumours that she was a model. After apologising again for bumping into his desk, Marnin returned to her friends and continued their conversation. She was popular and liked the usual things young girls do which meant that everyone understood her. They were from different worlds.
One of the parts of making Hina Dolls was sewing elaborate costumes for them. This was Gojo’s strength. He was excellent at it, although he still felt inadequate compared to his grandfather’s ability to craft the heads. One evening, their sewing machine broke while Gojo was in the middle of an outfit. The next day, he took it to school and used the home economics lab. He was in the middle of working when Marin walked in. She saw his Hina Doll and stared. Gojo couldn’t believe it. His life was over if this got out. However, rather than being appalled, Marin was delighted. She asked him if he could sew and when he said yes, she decided to reveal her passion project.
What did you think?
This series is so wonderfully detailed that I had to cut the synopsis above because I think I could have gone on forever. In short, I love it. I watched the anime in 2022 and ended up writing three bonus posts about the things that inspired me in the series. You can find the links to those at the end of this post if that interests you. Anyhow, since finishing the anime, I’ve been slowly collecting the manga and since I’m turning my attention to reviewing the books I own, this seemed like a great place to start. I mean, who doesn’t want to spend more time with Marin?
There were so many moments where I found myself laughing out loud. The first was when Marin started to explain who Shizuku Kuroe was. If you’re curious, she’s from Saint♡ Slippery’s Academy For Girls – The Young Ladies of the Humiliation Club: Debauched Miracle Life 2. That was a fantastic moment that always makes me laugh, especially when he realises that she is deadly serious. Then, there’s the measurement session which was insane. Not to mention the time Gojo was concerned that he would ruin Marin’s reputation and hid from her only for her to find him. However, the best moment was when they came out of a restaurant, talking about a scene from Saint♡ Slippery’s Academy For Girls in detail, much to the shock of the passersby! This series is delightful.
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – Someone Who Lives in the Exact Opposite World as Me
- Episode 2 – Wanna Hurry Up, and Do It?
- Episode 3 – Then Why Don’t We?
- Episode 4 – Are These Your Girlfriend’s?
- Episode 5 – It’s Probably Because This Is the Best Boob Bag Here
- Episode 6 – For Real?!
- Episode 7 – A Home Date with the Guy I Wuv Is the Best
- Episode 8 – Backlighting Is the Best
- Episode 9 – A Lot Happened After I Saw That Photo
- Episode 10 – We’ve All Got Struggles
- Episode 11 – I Am Currently at a Love Hotel
- Episode 12 – My Dress-Up Darling
- Bonus Posts
- Season One
- Volume 1 – I Don’t Suppose You’d Make My Cosplay?!
- Volume 2 – Do I Make a Proper Sex Slave?
- Volume 3 – Would You Do a Group Cosplay With Me?
- Volume 4 – A “B-holder”…
- Volume 5 – Turns Out… It’s a Love Hotel!
- Volume 6 – Once You Form Assumptions…
- Volume 7 – Is This Your First Time at a Host Club, Princess?
- Volume 8 – Won’t You Make Me Number One?
- Volume 9 – I’ll Eat It When I Get Home!
- Volume 10 – Because I Don’t Intend to Sleep Tonight