Kei and Yuri have been assigned their next mission and this time they will be working under someone. He better not have chest hair! Anyhow, they need to stop a new type of spaceship from being sabotaged and find the culprits.
Dirty Pair (Episode 2) – Do Lovely Angels Prefer Chest Hair?
The Lovely Angels returned to the 3WA headquarters unaware that their boss had it in for them after the last mission. That will have to wait, however, as the computer has selected them for another job. A new type of spaceship is about to make its maiden voyage but two previous ships made by that company exploded. They believe it was sabotage, which is why they called in the 3WA. This time the Lovely Angels will be working under a specialist, Grave and he doesn’t seem to have a very high opinion of them.
They travel on the ship as passengers and it gives them a chance to look around. Soon, they discover that two passengers had been attacked at the spaceport and their things taken. Could the saboteurs already be on board? Kei thinks it seems too easy and conducts a sweep of the outside of the ship. Her hunch is proven correct when she finds three people attaching bombs to the outside. She fights them off, but one of the bombs explodes. Grave is injured in the attack so it’s down to Kei and Yuri to land the ship which is heading directly for a major city.
What did you think?
This is my first time watching this show, isn’t it? I swear I’ve never seen the anime before, but this feels so nostalgic and I’m loving it. Admittedly, I did watch everything I could in the eighties so there’s the familiarity there. It does remind me of Project A-ko which was famous for parodying just about everything. Still, it has the same feel and look. Plus all the music is done with a synthesizer which gives it that classic electro-pop sound.
As to the story, it was a lot of fun. I had to laugh when Kei and Yuri went into their bosses office and there are three guys there. Each of them is wearing a massive three-piece suit while they’re in their standard mini spacesuits. However, you’d be a fool to think that this show is treating the girls as meat. They prove once again that they are awesome. Grave can only watch as they go above and beyond, saving countless lives and forever changing his opinion of them. This is girl power from long before the Spice Girls came along.
What have you learnt?
One thing this series has done well is that in just two episodes, and arguably one, we have come to expect the Lovely Angels to take things too far. Admittedly, we only have the reputation that we’ve heard from the various people that refer to them as the Dirty Pair, but it’s believable, especially after they warped an old spaceship into the computer in the last episode. This is great because it makes the outcome of every episode unpredictable.
I don’t mean we’re expecting them to fail. More like we’re unsure as to how they will succeed and what will be considered collateral damage. We saw them take the top of a skyscraper off and smash through something that looked like the Seattle Space Needle, but amazingly, they managed to put the ship down away from danger. Honestly, it could have gone either way which will no doubt make each episode that much more enjoyable. An air of uncertainty can add a bit of tension.
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – How to Kill a Computer
- Episode 2 – Do Lovely Angels Prefer Chest Hair?
- Episode 3 – Go Ahead, Fall in Love! Love Is Russian Roulette
- Episode 4 – The Case Smells Like Cheesecake and Death
- Episode 5 – Criados’ Heartbeat!
- Episode 6 – Lots of Danger, Lots of Decoys
- Episode 7 – Love is Everything. Risk Your Life to Elope!!
- Episode 8 – Gotta Do It! Love Is What Makes a Woman Explode
- Episode 9 – Hire Us! Beautiful Bodyguards are a Better Deal
- Episode 10 – What? We’re Heinous Kidnappers!
- Episode 11 – Hah Hah Hah, Dresses and Men Should Always Be Brand New
- Episode 12 – The Little Dictator! Let Sleeping Top Secrets Lie
- Episode 13 – What’s This?! My Supple Skin is a Mess
- Episode 14 – The Vault or the Vote? A Murderous Day for a Speech
- Episode 15 – Dig Here, Meow Meow. Happiness Comes at the End
- Episode 16 – Leave It To Us! The WWWA is a Wonderful Job
- Episode 17 – Come Out, Come Out, Assassin
- Episode 18 – Pardon Us. Trouble’s On the Run, So We’re Coming Through!
- Episode 19 – An Unjustified Lover’s Grudge. Let Me Love You Without Revenge
- Episode 20 – Nostalgic Blues Make a Killer Soundtrack
- Episode 21 – No Way! 463 People Disappeared?!
- Episode 22 – We Did It! 463 People Found!
- Episode 23 – Something’s Amiss…?! Our Elegant Revenge
- Episode 24 – Are You Serious?! A Condo is a Dangerous Place to Live
- Episode 25 – Eek! The Boy in the Manor is a Terminator
- Episode 26 – R-Really?! For Beautiful Women, “Cannon” is the Keyword to Escape