Mustang’s team cause havoc across Central, but there haven’t been any fatalities yet. That’s about to change as the soldiers from Briggs emerge from beneath the Armstrong mansion. The military isn’t finished yet though!
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Episode 50) – Upheaval in Central
Mustang found himself in a tight spot with the Fuhrer’s wife. Surrounded by soldiers, they are informed that only Mustang is needed alive. The others can all be killed, Mrs Bradley included. Luckily, Mustang had more men waiting in place. All he needed was for her to hear that they were prepared to kill her.
The number of wounded soldiers kept increasing, but surprisingly, there hadn’t been a single fatality. Mustang had been holding back and his men had been aiming to injury. However, they had run out of ammo and it was just a matter of time before the military closed in. That was when the ice cream truck arrived!
Rebecca opened the doors to reveal a bounty of weapons and ammo. It was everything they needed to maintain their siege. The biggest surprise was that Maria Ross had returned from Xing to help. Well, that was the biggest surprise for a short while as it turned out that Havoc had been the one to supply the goods.
Back in HQ, Olivier started to berate the Generals and even offered to lead their men for them. They reminded her why she was there and it wasn’t because she’d been promoted. That was when the Briggs soldiers emerged from beneath Armstrong Mansion and joined the fray. The body count was about to shoot up! Olivier added one of her own, pointing out that she was not like Mustang.
Meanwhile, Edward and the others entered the underground tunnels from the Third Laboratory as they searched for Father. However, another threat was about to emerge. The immortal army had just woken up and the screams were heard across Central.
What did you think?
So, this was cool. I enjoyed seeing Mustang and his team run around shooting people in the foot and hand, singing their hair, and generally bothering them (of course, the guy shot in the thigh probably didn’t have much time left). Then, they turned it up to eleven as the Briggs soldiers joined the battle. However, it was Olivier that really got me excited. She is such a badass it’s incredible. She really does remind me of General Esdeath.
Hohenheim was particularly good too, especially when he managed to get Lan Fan away from everyone else so that he could let her search for Ling. Despite abandoning his family, he’s generally a really nice guy… Anyhow, my excitement at this point was high, but even I couldn’t have expected what was to come next, and it was perfect.
What have you learnt?
When we saw the immortal soldiers the first time, I was expecting them to act like soldiers. I saw them as a block of clones all moving in unison, like actual soldiers. So, when they woke up and began screaming, I couldn’t hide my delight. If there’s one thing that this series has been missing its zombies and these are pretty much the worst kind imaginable.
I literally can’t wait to see the carnage that causes. It is worth noting that the scientist tried to warn the general that the bonding process wasn’t perfected (they never listen). So, it looks like they’ve created a monster and unleashed it on Central. My gut tells me that the general that woke them will be the first to suffer. This is an amazing development and just when I didn’t think the series could get any better.
Other posts in the series
- Series Review
- Episode 1 – Fullmetal Alchemist
- Episode 2 – The First Day
- Episode 3 – City of Heresy
- Episode 4 – An Alchemist’s Anguish
- Episode 5 – Rain of Sorrows
- Episode 6 – Road of Hope
- Episode 7 – Hidden Truths
- Episode 8 – The Fifth Laboratory
- Episode 9 – Created Feelings
- Episode 10 – Separate Destinations
- Episode 11 – Miracle at Rush Valley
- Episode 12 – One is All, All is One
- Episode 13 – Beasts of Dublith
- Episode 14 – Those Who Lurk Underground
- Episode 15 – Envoy From the East
- Episode 16 – Footsteps of a Comrade-in-Arms
- Episode 17 – Cold Flame
- Episode 18 – The Arrogant Palm of a Small Human
- Episode 19 – Death of the Undying
- Episode 20 – Father Before the Grave
- Episode 21 – Advance of the Fool
- Episode 22 – Backs in the Distance
- Episode 23 – Girl on the Battlefield
- Episode 24 – Inside the Belly
- Episode 25 – Doorway of Darkness
- Episode 26 – Reunion
- Episode 27 – Interlude Party
- Episode 28 – Father
- Episode 29 – Struggle of the Fool
- Episode 30 – The Ishvalan War of Extermination
- Episode 31 – The 520 Cens Promise
- Episode 32 – The Fuhrer’s Son
- Episode 33 – The Northern Wall of Briggs
- Episode 34 – Ice Queen
- Episode 35 – The Shape of This Country
- Episode 36 – Family Portrait
- Episode 37 – The First Homunculus
- Episode 38 – Conflict at Baschool
- Episode 39 – Daydream
- Episode 40 – The Dwarf in the Flask
- Episode 41 – The Abyss
- Episode 42 – Signs of a Counter-Offensive
- Episode 43 – Bite of the Ant
- Episode 44 – Revving at Full-throttle
- Episode 45 – The Promised Day
- Episode 46 – Looming Shadows
- Episode 47 – Emissary of Darkness
- Episode 48 – The Oath in the Tunnel
- Episode 49 – Filial Affection
- Episode 50 – Upheaval in Central
- Episode 51 – The Immortal Legion
- Episode 52 – Combined Strength
- Episode 53 – Flame of Vengeance
- Episode 54 – Beyond the Inferno
- Episode 55 – The Adults’ Way of Life
- Episode 56 – The Return of the Fuhrer
- Episode 57 – Eternal Leave
- Episode 58 – Sacrifices
- Episode 59 – Lost Light
- Episode 60 – Eye of Heaven, Gateway of Earth
- Episode 61 – He Who Would Swallow God
- Episode 62 – A Fierce Counterattack
- Episode 63 – The Other Side of the Gateway
- Episode 64 – Journey’s End