Edward and Alphonse track Scar to an abandoned mining town, but it’s going to take forever to find him. If only he would come looking for them! Meanwhile, a unit from Central arrives at Fort Briggs.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Episode 38) – Conflict at Baschool
Edward and Alphonse are partnered with a couple of Kimblee’s men for the search, but manage to lose them when they pretend to see something and run away. However, the mining town is massive and it’s going to take months to search every building. Just then, Mei Chang comes running, calling for Alphonse. She’s amazed that they would come all this way to find her.
That’s when Winry comes out of Alphonse’s armour, much to Mei Chang’s horror. Alphonse tries to explain that they’re just friends, but then questions why he’s defending himself like she was his girlfriend… Anyhow, they soon meet up with Doctor Marcoh who shows them the book Scar’s brother put together. He tells them they are on the right path with their investigation.
Meanwhile, Scar has been tracked down by Kimblee’s men. They turn out to be chimaeras and attack. It looks like they are going to overpower him too, but Edward and Alphonse show up. They realise that it’s Kimblee’s men but pretend they don’t know and attack as if they were monsters. After defeating them, they move on to Scar. However, Winry shows up and the fight stops.
There’s an explosion and Edward comes running out of the building. He yells at Kimblee asking why he wasn’t protecting Winry. They look up to the top of the building to see Scar carrying Winry away. Back at Fort Briggs a unit from Central has arrived and they have some questions for Olivier Armstrong.
What did you think?
I had to laugh when Alphonse asked if Scar would come and find them and then Mei Chang ran in. That’s a good example of coincidences working in a story. It added comedic effect and moved the story along. It also wasn’t that far fetched. I like how it’s pulling together this group. Edward and Alphonse are by no means tied to the military other than the Fuhrer’s hold on them. In the end, they have the same goal as Scar. I just don’t think they’ve realised it yet.
I mentioned in the last episode that I saw Winry’s involvement being the catalyst that brings Scar into the fold and that looks to be true. They obviously didn’t show us what was happening inside the building because it’s all a setup. Winry is now safe with Scar which frees Edward from the Fuhrer’s missions. It will also give Scar a chance to decipher his brother’s work along with Doctor Marcoh.
What have you learnt?
I mentioned a few episodes back that I was wondering if General Raven was meant to die in Fort Briggs. It’s the perfect catalyst to label them as the enemy. They must know what Olivier Armstrong is like and by sending an oaf like Raven in, who would be sure to blab and make some inappropriate moves on her would burn her blood.
The unit from Central showing up is no doubt the precursor to declaring them hostile. It will all blow up when her team stand beside her. Fort Briggs is about to become the birth of the resistance. I wonder if Mustang’s men will show up too or whether he’ll have them doing other things. The homunculi are the main problem. I’m not even sure how they would fight someone like Selim. Well, the answers are probably in Scar’s brother’s book.
Other posts in the series
- Series Review
- Episode 1 – Fullmetal Alchemist
- Episode 2 – The First Day
- Episode 3 – City of Heresy
- Episode 4 – An Alchemist’s Anguish
- Episode 5 – Rain of Sorrows
- Episode 6 – Road of Hope
- Episode 7 – Hidden Truths
- Episode 8 – The Fifth Laboratory
- Episode 9 – Created Feelings
- Episode 10 – Separate Destinations
- Episode 11 – Miracle at Rush Valley
- Episode 12 – One is All, All is One
- Episode 13 – Beasts of Dublith
- Episode 14 – Those Who Lurk Underground
- Episode 15 – Envoy From the East
- Episode 16 – Footsteps of a Comrade-in-Arms
- Episode 17 – Cold Flame
- Episode 18 – The Arrogant Palm of a Small Human
- Episode 19 – Death of the Undying
- Episode 20 – Father Before the Grave
- Episode 21 – Advance of the Fool
- Episode 22 – Backs in the Distance
- Episode 23 – Girl on the Battlefield
- Episode 24 – Inside the Belly
- Episode 25 – Doorway of Darkness
- Episode 26 – Reunion
- Episode 27 – Interlude Party
- Episode 28 – Father
- Episode 29 – Struggle of the Fool
- Episode 30 – The Ishvalan War of Extermination
- Episode 31 – The 520 Cens Promise
- Episode 32 – The Fuhrer’s Son
- Episode 33 – The Northern Wall of Briggs
- Episode 34 – Ice Queen
- Episode 35 – The Shape of This Country
- Episode 36 – Family Portrait
- Episode 37 – The First Homunculus
- Episode 38 – Conflict at Baschool
- Episode 39 – Daydream
- Episode 40 – The Dwarf in the Flask
- Episode 41 – The Abyss
- Episode 42 – Signs of a Counter-Offensive
- Episode 43 – Bite of the Ant
- Episode 44 – Revving at Full-throttle
- Episode 45 – The Promised Day
- Episode 46 – Looming Shadows
- Episode 47 – Emissary of Darkness
- Episode 48 – The Oath in the Tunnel
- Episode 49 – Filial Affection
- Episode 50 – Upheaval in Central
- Episode 51 – The Immortal Legion
- Episode 52 – Combined Strength
- Episode 53 – Flame of Vengeance
- Episode 54 – Beyond the Inferno
- Episode 55 – The Adults’ Way of Life
- Episode 56 – The Return of the Fuhrer
- Episode 57 – Eternal Leave
- Episode 58 – Sacrifices
- Episode 59 – Lost Light
- Episode 60 – Eye of Heaven, Gateway of Earth
- Episode 61 – He Who Would Swallow God
- Episode 62 – A Fierce Counterattack
- Episode 63 – The Other Side of the Gateway
- Episode 64 – Journey’s End