Edward and Greed try to subdue Pride, but it’s hopeless. He’s too powerful. Hohenheim manages to wake Alphonse who then comes up with a plan, however, it will cost them! Meanwhile, Mustang finds himself in a pickle!
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Episode 49) – Filial Affection
With the forest ablaze, Pride has all the light he needs but there’s still one thing getting in his way. With razor-sharp teeth and shadow blades, Pride slices through everything in his path, creating a clearing. Now, there’s nowhere to hide. Edward and Greed are struggling to keep up and Pride has just gotten started.
Hohenheim manages to get through to Alphonse, bringing his consciousness back to the suit of armour. When he realises what happens he blames himself. If only he hadn’t been caught by Pride and Gluttony, this would have never happened. He needs to fix it. He has a plan, but he’ll need Hohenheim’s help to achieve it.
Hohenheim emerged from the forest and caught Pride’s attention instantly. Pride drew back, unsure of what Hohenheim was planning. That was when Alphonse charged at him from behind, but Pride grabbed him with his shadows. Was that really it? Pride took delight in calling Alphonse stupid which seriously annoyed Hohenheim. He took a step forward and literally moved the earth.
The ground lifted up and curled in like a lotus blossom in reverse. Within seconds, the leaves of earth pressed against one another sealing Pride and Alphonse inside. They were trapped. Edward was furious with Hohenheim, but it was Alphonse’s idea and he told him not to tell Edward. Alphonse was prepared to sit tight and ensure that Pride stayed put until after the Promised Day!
Meanwhile, Mustang and his team were on the move, evading the military and using the Fuhrer’s wife as a shield. However, she had been deemed expendable.
What did you think?
I love how modest Hohenheim is when Alphonse says that he’s a strong alchemist. Hohenheim’s response was “I guess so.” He then lifted the earth into a giant dome without a transmutation circle of any description. He simply wanted it to happen and it did. It was a great plan from Alphonse, however, it takes him out of the final battle. It is one less homunculus which is great, however, Greed also noticed. I can’t help but think he’s in for a shock.
And my gut is telling me that the shock will come in the form of King Bradley. There’s still no news on his body and with his wife in danger, he’s going to show up, especially as she’s the only decision in his life that he made for himself. Will he end up joining the good guys? I doubt it, but I could see him rescuing his wife and then leaving. His absence will be a big enough bonus.
What have you learnt?
The team is starting to come together and that means the final confrontation is imminent. Alphonse has technically sacrificed himself at this point and will no longer be able to help Edward, but just like my theory with Bradley, Pride being absent is not something to be sniffed at but I’m sure they will miss Alphonse at some point.
The worrying thing is that despite some minor setbacks that seem to be happening in the background, it’s all been pretty positive for a little while. Everything seems to be working out for the better. That tells me that sooner or later things are going to spiral. I’m quite certain that some people are going to die. I can’t see this going to the conclusion without anyone being sacrificed. The Promised Day has just begun and even without an eclipse things are going to get dark!
Other posts in the series
- Series Review
- Episode 1 – Fullmetal Alchemist
- Episode 2 – The First Day
- Episode 3 – City of Heresy
- Episode 4 – An Alchemist’s Anguish
- Episode 5 – Rain of Sorrows
- Episode 6 – Road of Hope
- Episode 7 – Hidden Truths
- Episode 8 – The Fifth Laboratory
- Episode 9 – Created Feelings
- Episode 10 – Separate Destinations
- Episode 11 – Miracle at Rush Valley
- Episode 12 – One is All, All is One
- Episode 13 – Beasts of Dublith
- Episode 14 – Those Who Lurk Underground
- Episode 15 – Envoy From the East
- Episode 16 – Footsteps of a Comrade-in-Arms
- Episode 17 – Cold Flame
- Episode 18 – The Arrogant Palm of a Small Human
- Episode 19 – Death of the Undying
- Episode 20 – Father Before the Grave
- Episode 21 – Advance of the Fool
- Episode 22 – Backs in the Distance
- Episode 23 – Girl on the Battlefield
- Episode 24 – Inside the Belly
- Episode 25 – Doorway of Darkness
- Episode 26 – Reunion
- Episode 27 – Interlude Party
- Episode 28 – Father
- Episode 29 – Struggle of the Fool
- Episode 30 – The Ishvalan War of Extermination
- Episode 31 – The 520 Cens Promise
- Episode 32 – The Fuhrer’s Son
- Episode 33 – The Northern Wall of Briggs
- Episode 34 – Ice Queen
- Episode 35 – The Shape of This Country
- Episode 36 – Family Portrait
- Episode 37 – The First Homunculus
- Episode 38 – Conflict at Baschool
- Episode 39 – Daydream
- Episode 40 – The Dwarf in the Flask
- Episode 41 – The Abyss
- Episode 42 – Signs of a Counter-Offensive
- Episode 43 – Bite of the Ant
- Episode 44 – Revving at Full-throttle
- Episode 45 – The Promised Day
- Episode 46 – Looming Shadows
- Episode 47 – Emissary of Darkness
- Episode 48 – The Oath in the Tunnel
- Episode 49 – Filial Affection
- Episode 50 – Upheaval in Central
- Episode 51 – The Immortal Legion
- Episode 52 – Combined Strength
- Episode 53 – Flame of Vengeance
- Episode 54 – Beyond the Inferno
- Episode 55 – The Adults’ Way of Life
- Episode 56 – The Return of the Fuhrer
- Episode 57 – Eternal Leave
- Episode 58 – Sacrifices
- Episode 59 – Lost Light
- Episode 60 – Eye of Heaven, Gateway of Earth
- Episode 61 – He Who Would Swallow God
- Episode 62 – A Fierce Counterattack
- Episode 63 – The Other Side of the Gateway
- Episode 64 – Journey’s End