Kimblee tracks down Scar and attempts to take him head-on, which might be a mistake. Meanwhile, Edward and Alphonse arrive at Fort Briggs and discover that too might be a mistake!
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Episode 33) – The Northern Wall of Briggs
Kimberlee is hot on Scar’s heels but lost him somewhere before West City. They were on the train, but now they’re not. He tries to work out where they could have gone and eventually follows the clues to an old mining path. Since Central, Scar had left a pretty clear trail and now he’s vanished. It’s as if he was trying to lure them away from something.
It would appear that Scar is now heading North and after a little more investigation, they get a lead on someone matching his appearance, travelling with a man with dark hair. It has to be Scar. Kimblee decides that now it’s his turn to take control and orders everyone else to stay out of his way. He finds Scar on a train and soon realises that sitting in a cell was not good preparation when facing someone that’s been fighting for his life every day.
Meanwhile, Edward and Alphonse make it to the North and head towards Fort Briggs. They are soon intercepted by a soldier with a large automail arm who is determined to cut them down, believing them to be spies. They manage to survive long enough to realise that they are standing in front of Fort Briggs and are being addressed by the commanding officer – Olivier Mira Armstrong, and she’s not the most forgiving person.
Mei Chang and Doctor Marcoh arrive at the location that Scar gave them and discover his brother’s research. Will it be their salvation or their ruin?
What did you think?
I enjoyed the cat and mouse game that Scar and Kimblee were playing and it did enough to make Kimblee’s efforts feel like they would have led him to Scar’s location, along with the military detective work. That all made sense. The fight was great too, however, I’m kind of bothered by the way it ended. It was interesting to see Kimblee realise that he was hopelessly out of shape compared to Scar and had lost his edge. My problem is that shouldn’t have been a surprise and just showed how overly confident Kimblee is. He was lucky to come away with his life.
Then, we had Edward and Alphonse heading towards Fort Briggs and that was also a lot of fun. I enjoyed their journey and then the misunderstanding that led to them fighting one of the soldiers stationed there. It would appear that they got lucky that Olivier Mira Armstrong decided to see what was going on and not just left it to her men. Goes to show how hostile the environment must be up there that they fight first and ask questions later.
What have you learnt?
I finally got to see some more of Olivier Mira Armstrong which was great, especially as I predicted she would be like General Esdeath from Akame ga Kill. Admittedly, I wasn’t expecting it to be quite so on the nose. Both are the leaders of a hardy army and command utter respect and obedience. Both are harsh and don’t take any nonsense. Both follow the belief of survival of the fittest. Both wield a sword. Both believe in judging someone’s worth for themselves. Both have an affinity for ice.
Normally, I’d be wondering who came first and whether one was copied from the other. In this case, I believe it was Olivier Mira Armstrong who came first, however, if every series had a character like Olivier or Esdeath, you would hear no complaints from me. I’m just excited that this is just the beginning or her involvement and can’t wait to see how it develops.
Other posts in the series
- Season Review
- Episode 1 – Fullmetal Alchemist
- Episode 2 – The First Day
- Episode 3 – City of Heresy
- Episode 4 – An Alchemist’s Anguish
- Episode 5 – Rain of Sorrows
- Episode 6 – Road of Hope
- Episode 7 – Hidden Truths
- Episode 8 – The Fifth Laboratory
- Episode 9 – Created Feelings
- Episode 10 – Separate Destinations
- Episode 11 – Miracle at Rush Valley
- Episode 12 – One is All, All is One
- Episode 13 – Beasts of Dublith
- Episode 14 – Those Who Lurk Underground
- Episode 15 – Envoy From the East
- Episode 16 – Footsteps of a Comrade-in-Arms
- Episode 17 – Cold Flame
- Episode 18 – The Arrogant Palm of a Small Human
- Episode 19 – Death of the Undying
- Episode 20 – Father Before the Grave
- Episode 21 – Advance of the Fool
- Episode 22 – Backs in the Distance
- Episode 23 – Girl on the Battlefield
- Episode 24 – Inside the Belly
- Episode 25 – Doorway of Darkness
- Episode 26 – Reunion
- Episode 27 – Interlude Party
- Episode 28 – Father
- Episode 29 – Struggle of the Fool
- Episode 30 – The Ishvalan War of Extermination
- Episode 31 – The 520 Cens Promise
- Episode 32 – The Fuhrer’s Son
- Episode 33 – The Northern Wall of Briggs
- Episode 34 – Ice Queen
- Episode 35 – The Shape of This Country
- Episode 36 – Family Portrait
- Episode 37 – The First Homunculus
- Episode 38 – Conflict at Baschool
- Episode 39 – Daydream
- Episode 40 – The Dwarf in the Flask
- Episode 41 – The Abyss
- Episode 42 – Signs of a Counter-Offensive
- Episode 43 – Bite of the Ant
- Episode 44 – Revving at Full-throttle
- Episode 45 – The Promised Day
- Episode 46 – Looming Shadows
- Episode 47 – Emissary of Darkness
- Episode 48 – The Oath in the Tunnel
- Episode 49 – Filial Affection
- Episode 50 – Upheaval in Central
- Episode 51 – The Immortal Legion
- Episode 52 – Combined Strength
- Episode 53 – Flame of Vengeance
- Episode 54 – Beyond the Inferno
- Episode 55 – The Adults’ Way of Life
- Episode 56 – The Return of the Fuhrer
- Episode 57 – Eternal Leave
- Episode 58 – Sacrifices
- Episode 59 – Lost Light
- Episode 60 – Eye of Heaven, Gateway of Earth
- Episode 61 – He Who Would Swallow God
- Episode 62 – A Fierce Counterattack
- Episode 63 – The Other Side of the Gateway
- Episode 64 – Journey’s End