Hohenheim reveals all to Alphonse and it’s not that much of a shock. Edward has been patched up and is on the run as the military tries to track him down. One of Greed’s old friends finds him, but he’s not the same Greed!
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Episode 44) – Revving at Full-throttle
Alphonse and Winry are shocked to find Hohenheim in Leore, but it gives Alphonse a chance to talk about his theories and also find out a bit more about his father. Hohenheim is shocked that Alphonse still trusts him after he abandoned them so he reveals all. He tells him he was a slave who became a philosopher’s stone. He’s immortal, but still very much human.
Elsewhere, Edward has been patched up by a doctor and is ready to hit the road again with his new allies, Darius and Heinkel. However, when Darius withdraw some money from Edward’s account, the bank notified the military and they tracked them down. Thanks to some quick thinking from Edward, they manage to escape. Now, he just has to find Alphonse.
The only survivor of Greed’s old gang followed some military officers back to Central and stumbled upon the inactive golem army. He hears someone telling Olivier about how they will bond souls that have fallen in battle to create the greatest army the world has ever seen. They are immortal and obedient.
Bido flees, terrified at what he’s discovered and runs into Greed. Only it’s not the Greed he remembers. It sounds like him and is shocked when Bido finishes his mantra. However, that’s ancient history as far as Greed is concerned. He kills Bido, but that seems to awaken his past memories. Ling taunts Greed, telling him that he can’t call himself Greed if he would turn his back on something he wanted.
Greed’s next act is to enter King Bradley’s home and attack him!
What did you think?
It feels like we’re moving towards the end game now. After Envy was defeated, I was expecting Doctor Marcoh to go after the other homunculi, which can still happen, however, I wasn’t expecting Greed to regain his memories and attack Wrath. I feel like this will be the chance Ling has been waiting for. Any sort of injury could give him the opening he needs to regain control. Of course, Pride is also there so this could get messy.
There’s still a lot to be ironed out and I’m excited to get to the bottom of everything. This has been a long and well-crafted story with fascinating characters. It feels very much like Lord of the Rings now where the fellowship has split up and is all busy doing their own thing. I’m looking forward to it all coming back together again for a final confrontation.
What have you learnt?
I wonder how this artificial army plays into Father’s plans and whether the top level of the military is truly in the know. It’s quite conceivable that they have been lied to and are busily working towards a different goal. Of course, Father will still benefit from their efforts and an immortal army would certainly make it possible to make an even bigger transmutational circle. Xerxes wasn’t big enough, will Amestris be big enough. There’s no stopping someone with a taste for power.
I wonder if Hohenheim will be able to teach Alphonse alkehestry. I get the feeling that the alchemy practised in Amestris is founded on Father’s powers and as such he can turn it off when he sees fit. Hohenheim is as old as Father so it’s likely that he uses a different form that isn’t dependent on Father. It would be amazing for Alphonse to surpass Edward by the next time they meet up.
Other posts in the series
- Series Review
- Episode 1 – Fullmetal Alchemist
- Episode 2 – The First Day
- Episode 3 – City of Heresy
- Episode 4 – An Alchemist’s Anguish
- Episode 5 – Rain of Sorrows
- Episode 6 – Road of Hope
- Episode 7 – Hidden Truths
- Episode 8 – The Fifth Laboratory
- Episode 9 – Created Feelings
- Episode 10 – Separate Destinations
- Episode 11 – Miracle at Rush Valley
- Episode 12 – One is All, All is One
- Episode 13 – Beasts of Dublith
- Episode 14 – Those Who Lurk Underground
- Episode 15 – Envoy From the East
- Episode 16 – Footsteps of a Comrade-in-Arms
- Episode 17 – Cold Flame
- Episode 18 – The Arrogant Palm of a Small Human
- Episode 19 – Death of the Undying
- Episode 20 – Father Before the Grave
- Episode 21 – Advance of the Fool
- Episode 22 – Backs in the Distance
- Episode 23 – Girl on the Battlefield
- Episode 24 – Inside the Belly
- Episode 25 – Doorway of Darkness
- Episode 26 – Reunion
- Episode 27 – Interlude Party
- Episode 28 – Father
- Episode 29 – Struggle of the Fool
- Episode 30 – The Ishvalan War of Extermination
- Episode 31 – The 520 Cens Promise
- Episode 32 – The Fuhrer’s Son
- Episode 33 – The Northern Wall of Briggs
- Episode 34 – Ice Queen
- Episode 35 – The Shape of This Country
- Episode 36 – Family Portrait
- Episode 37 – The First Homunculus
- Episode 38 – Conflict at Baschool
- Episode 39 – Daydream
- Episode 40 – The Dwarf in the Flask
- Episode 41 – The Abyss
- Episode 42 – Signs of a Counter-Offensive
- Episode 43 – Bite of the Ant
- Episode 44 – Revving at Full-throttle
- Episode 45 – The Promised Day
- Episode 46 – Looming Shadows
- Episode 47 – Emissary of Darkness
- Episode 48 – The Oath in the Tunnel
- Episode 49 – Filial Affection
- Episode 50 – Upheaval in Central
- Episode 51 – The Immortal Legion
- Episode 52 – Combined Strength
- Episode 53 – Flame of Vengeance
- Episode 54 – Beyond the Inferno
- Episode 55 – The Adults’ Way of Life
- Episode 56 – The Return of the Fuhrer
- Episode 57 – Eternal Leave
- Episode 58 – Sacrifices
- Episode 59 – Lost Light
- Episode 60 – Eye of Heaven, Gateway of Earth
- Episode 61 – He Who Would Swallow God
- Episode 62 – A Fierce Counterattack
- Episode 63 – The Other Side of the Gateway
- Episode 64 – Journey’s End