Hohenheim struggles with his conscience as he thinks about all that’s happened and whether any of it was truly avoidable. How is he involved… and what is he?
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Episode 27) – Interlude Party
Hohenheim finds himself at a party around a fire. There are groups of people dancing and enjoying themselves, but he’s just sitting back watching. Then, a young Pinako Rockbell approaches him and offers him a drink. She takes one for herself and begins to question why he didn’t do anything to intervene when Edward and Alphonse tried to revive their mother.
He believed that any intervention would have been meaningless as they would have done it anyway. That’s how humans are. They don’t learn. He’s been watching humanity for a long time and concludes that they will continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.
Pinako goes off dancing with a group of girls and while she’s gone, another figure looking like Hohenheim appears and tells him that humanity is fragile. It’s weak and scared and has no purpose. So, it’s their job to give them one. Use them like cattle.
Pinako again defends humanity, but the other version of Hohenheim appears again and pulls off her mask to reveal Hohenheim. He can hide behind these ideals and humans all he wants, but he knows humanity’s purpose and that there’s no point fighting it.
That’s when a young Trisha Elric appears before him and points out that humanity is scared, but it’s that fear that drives them to get stronger, to achieve greater and greater feats. Hohenheim wakes up to discover it was all a dream. He gets up, brushes himself down, and continues on his journey.
What did you think?
So, this was a recap episode. Hohenheim’s dream was interspersed with clips from the previous twenty-six episodes and it was very effective. It’s easily one of my favourite recap episodes and I’d even go so far as to say it should be watched. Yes, it does appear at an annoying time when things are getting quite serious in the actual story, but it raises a lot of questions about Hohenheim.
Don’t skip this episode. Even as a recap episode, it was incredibly powerful full of stunning images and meaningful moments. There’s definitely more to this than just recapping the series so far. This is going to be a shorter post as it was mainly stuff that I’ve already discussed.
What have you learnt?
I’ve been saying for a while now that Father seems to resemble Hohenheim which made me wonder if they are the same person. Now, I’m not so sure. He mentioned how he had been watching humanity for a long time which leads me to believe he is a homunculus. It makes sense considering he hasn’t aged a day since he walked out on Edward and Alphonse.
If that’s the case, is Father simply another homunculus made with the same design or is Hohenheim made in the image of Father who could be something else entirely? So, with the recap out of the way, hopefully, we’ll get back to the actual story and get some more answers.
Other posts in the series
- Series Review
- Episode 1 – Fullmetal Alchemist
- Episode 2 – The First Day
- Episode 3 – City of Heresy
- Episode 4 – An Alchemist’s Anguish
- Episode 5 – Rain of Sorrows
- Episode 6 – Road of Hope
- Episode 7 – Hidden Truths
- Episode 8 – The Fifth Laboratory
- Episode 9 – Created Feelings
- Episode 10 – Separate Destinations
- Episode 11 – Miracle at Rush Valley
- Episode 12 – One is All, All is One
- Episode 13 – Beasts of Dublith
- Episode 14 – Those Who Lurk Underground
- Episode 15 – Envoy From the East
- Episode 16 – Footsteps of a Comrade-in-Arms
- Episode 17 – Cold Flame
- Episode 18 – The Arrogant Palm of a Small Human
- Episode 19 – Death of the Undying
- Episode 20 – Father Before the Grave
- Episode 21 – Advance of the Fool
- Episode 22 – Backs in the Distance
- Episode 23 – Girl on the Battlefield
- Episode 24 – Inside the Belly
- Episode 25 – Doorway of Darkness
- Episode 26 – Reunion
- Episode 27 – Interlude Party
- Episode 28 – Father
- Episode 29 – Struggle of the Fool
- Episode 30 – The Ishvalan War of Extermination
- Episode 31 – The 520 Cens Promise
- Episode 32 – The Fuhrer’s Son
- Episode 33 – The Northern Wall of Briggs
- Episode 34 – Ice Queen
- Episode 35 – The Shape of This Country
- Episode 36 – Family Portrait
- Episode 37 – The First Homunculus
- Episode 38 – Conflict at Baschool
- Episode 39 – Daydream
- Episode 40 – The Dwarf in the Flask
- Episode 41 – The Abyss
- Episode 42 – Signs of a Counter-Offensive
- Episode 43 – Bite of the Ant
- Episode 44 – Revving at Full-throttle
- Episode 45 – The Promised Day
- Episode 46 – Looming Shadows
- Episode 47 – Emissary of Darkness
- Episode 48 – The Oath in the Tunnel
- Episode 49 – Filial Affection
- Episode 50 – Upheaval in Central
- Episode 51 – The Immortal Legion
- Episode 52 – Combined Strength
- Episode 53 – Flame of Vengeance
- Episode 54 – Beyond the Inferno
- Episode 55 – The Adults’ Way of Life
- Episode 56 – The Return of the Fuhrer
- Episode 57 – Eternal Leave
- Episode 58 – Sacrifices
- Episode 59 – Lost Light
- Episode 60 – Eye of Heaven, Gateway of Earth
- Episode 61 – He Who Would Swallow God
- Episode 62 – A Fierce Counterattack
- Episode 63 – The Other Side of the Gateway
- Episode 64 – Journey’s End