Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Episode 28) – Father
Gluttony brings Alphonse to meet Father but before he can explain, Envy, Edward, and Ling burst out of his stomach. Father heals Edward and Alphonse, but they’re not too happy about his plan for Ling!
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Episode 28) – Father
Alphonse is stunned when he sees Father because he looks almost identical to Hohenheim, their father. However, Father is not Hohenheim. Just then, Gluttony screams as the portal opens up in his belly, allowing Envy, Edward and Ling to return. Alphonse is delighted to see that Edward is all right. Father is pleased too as they are vital to his plans.
He repairs Alphonse’s hand and heals Edward’s injuries without making any signs or using a transmutational circle. It’s like he can do it in his mind. Ling, however, is of no use to him so he tells Gluttony to eat him. They fight, throwing everything they can at Father and Gluttony. It was all in vain as Father somehow turns off alchemy…
Father then decides that he will use Ling for a new homunculus, producing a philosopher’s stone from his forehead. Edward and Alphonse try to fight back, but Ling tells them not to bother and that this is what he wants.
Greed enters Ling’s and takes over. That’s when Scar and Mei Chang enter. Amazingly, both Scar and Mei Chang can still use their alchemy. This is something that intrigues Father and he even approaches Scar to talk. Having found out that the Ishvalan conflict was caused by Envy, Scar is less than willing to talk.
Alphonse tries to escape with an injured Mei Chang and is joined by Scar, but they don’t appear to be any way out. Amazingly, Scar manages to create a diversion and vanish with Mei Chang. Alphonse is captured and taken back to Father. He plans on delivering them both to Wrath.
What did you think?
Excellent! This was where a lot of the work that has been going on for the last couple of episodes has been building towards and it was great. I’ve been thinking for a while now that Ling looked a little like Greed and couldn’t quite put my finger on the difference. It’s because Greed opens his eyes. I do think that Ling will regain control at a pivotal moment so I’ll be looking forward to that moment.
We also had it confirmed that Father and Hohenheim are definitely not the same person, but the question now is who came first – Father or Hohenheim. I get the feeling that one created the other, so that’s another thing I’ll be keeping an eye on. This really was an exciting episode and raised the bar a lot in terms of what alchemy is capable of.
What have you learnt?
So, how is it that Scar and Mei Chang can still perform alchemy? Well, my guess is that they are foreigners and use a different form of alchemy. I’m leaning towards the idea that Hohenheim created Father and that his powers are based on the local form of alchemy. This gives him a weakness, although it’s not a big one considering Scar couldn’t do any damage. Presumably, Father can heal himself as well…
There’s one final thing that I want to say about this episode and that was where Scar and Mei chang ran off to and how did they get past all those Chimera and Envy and Gluttony? Well, I have a theory for that too. They didn’t escape. They are inside Alphonse and will no doubt continue the carnage when they get a chance providing Mei Chang is able to recover. Either way, I feel like things are just going to get even more tense.
Other posts in the series
- Season Review
- Episode 1 – Fullmetal Alchemist
- Episode 2 – The First Day
- Episode 3 – City of Heresy
- Episode 4 – An Alchemist’s Anguish
- Episode 5 – Rain of Sorrows
- Episode 6 – Road of Hope
- Episode 7 – Hidden Truths
- Episode 8 – The Fifth Laboratory
- Episode 9 – Created Feelings
- Episode 10 – Separate Destinations
- Episode 11 – Miracle at Rush Valley
- Episode 12 – One is All, All is One
- Episode 13 – Beasts of Dublith
- Episode 14 – Those Who Lurk Underground
- Episode 15 – Envoy From the East
- Episode 16 – Footsteps of a Comrade-in-Arms
- Episode 17 – Cold Flame
- Episode 18 – The Arrogant Palm of a Small Human
- Episode 19 – Death of the Undying
- Episode 20 – Father Before the Grave
- Episode 21 – Advance of the Fool
- Episode 22 – Backs in the Distance
- Episode 23 – Girl on the Battlefield
- Episode 24 – Inside the Belly
- Episode 25 – Doorway of Darkness
- Episode 26 – Reunion
- Episode 27 – Interlude Party
- Episode 28 – Father
- Episode 29 – Struggle of the Fool
- Episode 30 – The Ishvalan War of Extermination
- Episode 31 – The 520 Cens Promise
- Episode 32 – The Fuhrer’s Son
- Episode 33 – The Northern Wall of Briggs
- Episode 34 – Ice Queen
- Episode 35 – The Shape of This Country
- Episode 36 – Family Portrait
- Episode 37 – The First Homunculus
- Episode 38 – Conflict at Baschool
- Episode 39 – Daydream
- Episode 40 – The Dwarf in the Flask
- Episode 41 – The Abyss
- Episode 42 – Signs of a Counter-Offensive
- Episode 43 – Bite of the Ant
- Episode 44 – Revving at Full-throttle
- Episode 45 – The Promised Day
- Episode 46 – Looming Shadows
- Episode 47 – Emissary of Darkness
- Episode 48 – The Oath in the Tunnel
- Episode 49 – Filial Affection
- Episode 50 – Upheaval in Central
- Episode 51 – The Immortal Legion
- Episode 52 – Combined Strength
- Episode 53 – Flame of Vengeance
- Episode 54 – Beyond the Inferno
- Episode 55 – The Adults’ Way of Life
- Episode 56 – The Return of the Fuhrer
- Episode 57 – Eternal Leave
- Episode 58 – Sacrifices
- Episode 59 – Lost Light
- Episode 60 – Eye of Heaven, Gateway of Earth
- Episode 61 – He Who Would Swallow God
- Episode 62 – A Fierce Counterattack
- Episode 63 – The Other Side of the Gateway
- Episode 64 – Journey’s End