Edward and Alphonse arrive at Grand Central Library to discover that it has been destroyed in a fire. Luckily, there might be someone that can help them, but are they ready to discover the truth?
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Episode 7) – Hidden Truths
The Grand Central Library had been burnt to the ground, but it was no accident. After learning that the Eldric brothers had found out about Doctor Marcoh’s research papers, Lust destroyed everything. Now, she just had to take care of Scar with Gluttony’s help, of course. They tracked him down to the sewers and attacked. However, he got away.
Major Armstrong was ordered to return to headquarters for another mission while two other officers were assigned to bodyguard the Elric brothers. Luckily, they knew of someone that had worked at the library with some particular skills that they might need. They visited the home of Shuska and discovered a mountain of books… with Shuska buried beneath them.
After getting her out, she confirmed that she had read the papers. That meant they were destroyed in the fire. However, Shuska was able to recreate the papers by memory alone. Edward thanked her and paid her for her time. All they had to do now was decipher the encrypted documents.
Several days later, Maria and Denny entered the room the Elric brothers were working in and tried to pep them up as they appeared to have been defeated. However, it was quite the opposite. They had deciphered the document and learnt that you needed human sacrifices to make a philosopher’s stone.
What did you think?
All right, now things are getting interesting. The philosopher’s stone requires human sacrifices and the research was ordered by the military, by Fuhrer King Bradley most likely. I put the idea out there that maybe they weren’t necessarily on the side of good and now that’s looking possible. I worry for Armstrong as he’ll likely just bring it up without expecting someone to be evil. That said, he’s a beast, so he’ll be fine.
I’m not sure how they managed to keep us occupied with two guys locked in a room reading books, but they did it. This episode was thoroughly engaging which is why it seemed to fly by. The episode ended with Edward and Alphonse investigating a mysterious site of an unused laboratory even though they told Armstrong they wouldn’t. I’m expecting some action and even more questions from the next episode.
What have you learnt?
I’ve mentioned good and evil sides when I’m really talking in a loose sense. It’s quite likely, that there are elements of all sides that are doing questionable things and now it’s down to the more righteous characters to decide which side they’re on if they’re on any side at all. Something as gruesome as human sacrifice is sure to make many uncomfortable.
I love that this development has taken what was an already interesting story and added so much extra weight to it. It goes without saying that a one-dimensional story will feel flat, but if you can add other aspects and increase the stakes, it’s going to be far more impactful. I can’t wait to see how things escalate from here. I can easily see some sacrifices and the potential for a massive shakeup. Hold on, it’s going to get bumpy!
Other posts in the series
- Series Review
- Episode 1 – Fullmetal Alchemist
- Episode 2 – The First Day
- Episode 3 – City of Heresy
- Episode 4 – An Alchemist’s Anguish
- Episode 5 – Rain of Sorrows
- Episode 6 – Road of Hope
- Episode 7 – Hidden Truths
- Episode 8 – The Fifth Laboratory
- Episode 9 – Created Feelings
- Episode 10 – Separate Destinations
- Episode 11 – Miracle at Rush Valley
- Episode 12 – One is All, All is One
- Episode 13 – Beasts of Dublith
- Episode 14 – Those Who Lurk Underground
- Episode 15 – Envoy From the East
- Episode 16 – Footsteps of a Comrade-in-Arms
- Episode 17 – Cold Flame
- Episode 18 – The Arrogant Palm of a Small Human
- Episode 19 – Death of the Undying
- Episode 20 – Father Before the Grave
- Episode 21 – Advance of the Fool
- Episode 22 – Backs in the Distance
- Episode 23 – Girl on the Battlefield
- Episode 24 – Inside the Belly
- Episode 25 – Doorway of Darkness
- Episode 26 – Reunion
- Episode 27 – Interlude Party
- Episode 28 – Father
- Episode 29 – Struggle of the Fool
- Episode 30 – The Ishvalan War of Extermination
- Episode 31 – The 520 Cens Promise
- Episode 32 – The Fuhrer’s Son
- Episode 33 – The Northern Wall of Briggs
- Episode 34 – Ice Queen
- Episode 35 – The Shape of This Country
- Episode 36 – Family Portrait
- Episode 37 – The First Homunculus
- Episode 38 – Conflict at Baschool
- Episode 39 – Daydream
- Episode 40 – The Dwarf in the Flask
- Episode 41 – The Abyss
- Episode 42 – Signs of a Counter-Offensive
- Episode 43 – Bite of the Ant
- Episode 44 – Revving at Full-throttle
- Episode 45 – The Promised Day
- Episode 46 – Looming Shadows
- Episode 47 – Emissary of Darkness
- Episode 48 – The Oath in the Tunnel
- Episode 49 – Filial Affection
- Episode 50 – Upheaval in Central
- Episode 51 – The Immortal Legion
- Episode 52 – Combined Strength
- Episode 53 – Flame of Vengeance
- Episode 54 – Beyond the Inferno
- Episode 55 – The Adults’ Way of Life
- Episode 56 – The Return of the Fuhrer
- Episode 57 – Eternal Leave
- Episode 58 – Sacrifices
- Episode 59 – Lost Light
- Episode 60 – Eye of Heaven, Gateway of Earth
- Episode 61 – He Who Would Swallow God
- Episode 62 – A Fierce Counterattack
- Episode 63 – The Other Side of the Gateway
- Episode 64 – Journey’s End