Bell tracks down Weine, but so has Ais. Will Bell be able to fight the woman that he’s been obsessing over for so long? If Weine is to survive, he doesn’t appear to have any other options!
Bell found Weine and Haruhime and made plans to get her back with the rest of the Xeros. However, they had been spotted by Bete, and even though Bell had the invisibility cloak, they couldn’t fool Bete’s sense of smell. In the end, Haruhime stepped out to face him. He quickly brushed her aside and was ready to go after Bell and Weine, but then Aisha arrived to aid Haruhime.
Welf and Mikoto were busy trying to keep Gareth busy, but he was too strong for them, even with Welf’s magic swords. Eventually, Tsubaki from Welf’s old Familia arrived to help them at the command of her goddess, Hephaestus. They finally took care of Gareth and went to help the straddling Xeros.
Ais caught up with Bell and Weine and demanded that he step aside. Obviously, he couldn’t do that and drew his daggers. He fought with everything he could to keep Ais from going after Weine. However, Weine came back and tried to protect Bell. When Bell tried to reason with Ais, she reiterated that it was her role to kill monsters. Then, Weine pulled off her claws and her wing in a showing of her desire to not scare people. After this Ais couldn’t continue to hunt her.
The Xeros made it to the location of the door to the dungeon, only there was no door. Hermes stepped out of the shadows and told them that they had to die…
What did you think?
So, Bell and Ais finally fought and it was as good as I had hoped it would be. It could have been longer, but I’ll take what I can. Weine’s decision to go back for Bell and the sacrifices she made to prove to Ais that she wasn’t a threat were incredible. It was hard seeing her go through that and that was obviously the effect it had on Ais.
I was disappointed to see that Ryu and Aisha both got defeated again in this episode. My favourite characters just can’t seem to get a break. When exactly is Finn going to become relevant? They made out like he was going to be the antagonist for this section and we’ve had nothing. Also, let’s just talk about the cliffhanger. I am pretty much certain that it’s going to be a nothing cliffhanger. There’s no way Hermes is going to kill or try to kill the Xeros. I just can’t see it. It’s also the eleventh episode in the third season. There is no need to put cliffhangers in at this stage as everyone that watches this episode is going to watch the next one. It’s a frustrating way to deliver the story.
What have you learnt?
It’s one thing for a story to develop over time, but I think it’s important that the initial direction is continued. This is something that DanMachi had not done and as a result, it feels a little aimless since the end of season one. Wasn’t the story about Bell working his way through the dungeon to level up and make his goddess proud of him? While these last two seasons have been all right, they haven’t come close to the excitement of season one and I think that’s down to the meandering path that the story is taking.
I was excited about the third season, but right now, I think I’m ready for it to be over with. We’re all going to be wildly disappointed with the result of the Hermes cliffhanger, there’s going to be a big fight, probably with Asterius, and that’ll be that. Maybe Bell will level up again, not that it really seems to matter much.
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- OVA One
- Season Two
- Episode 0 – Past & Future
- Episode 1 – Party | Banquet of the Gods
- Episode 2 – Apollo | Sun God
- Episode 3 – Conversion | Gathering
- Episode 4 – War Game | War Game
- Episode 5 – Home | The Hearthfire Mansion
- Episode 6 – Ishtar Familia | City of Lust
- Episode 7 – Renard | Fox Person
- Episode 8 – Ephemeral Dreams | Killing Stone
- Episode 9 – Berbera | War Prostitutes
- Episode 10 – Argonaut | Longing to Be a Hero
- Episode 11 – Rakia | Army’s Advance
- Episode 12 – Song of Love | Goddess and Child
- OVA Two
- Season Three
- Episode 1 – Wiene Dragon’s Daughter
- Episode 2 – Monster | One Wing
- Episode 3 – Xenos | Outliers
- Episode 4 – Aspiration | Distant Dream
- Episode 5 – Ikelos Familia | King of Atrocity
- Episode 6 – Knossos | Man-Made Labyrinth
- Episode 7 – Dix Perdix | The Dreams of Beasts
- Episode 8 – Bell Cranel | The Fool
- Episode 9 – Stigma | Downfall
- Episode 10 – Invisible | Forced Breakthrough
- Episode 11 – Ultra Soul | Decisive Battle
- Episode 12 – Argonaut | Hero’s Return
- OVA Three
- Bonus Posts