Bell Cranel is attempting to return Syr’s purse to her when some monsters escape from Monsterphilia. A Silverback from the eleventh level seems to have set its sights on Hestia forcing Bell to fight to save her at all costs!
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (Volume 2) – Monsterphilia
While the crowd enjoyed the spectacle that is Monsterphilia, Freya slipped into the holding area, incapacitated the guards, and released the monsters. She told them to hunt down one person in particular. She didn’t care if he died, she just wanted to see what he could do. The monsters burst onto the streets and found Bell Cranel and Hestia searching for Syr. A Silverback charged at them, clearly going for Hestia. Bell grabbed her and run, aware that he was not strong enough to defeat it.
They ran into the maze that is Daidaros. Hestia tried to stop Bell, but they had no choice. Either they continued or they had to face that monster. They ran and ran, desperately trying to lose it in the maze, however, it kept coming. Eventually, Bell decided to stand and fight, but not until Hestia was safely out of the way. He secured her behind some iron bars and led the monster away.
However, Hestia caught up with him and gave him the gift she’d been trying to give him for some time now. She also found the time to update his status before the fight. With his new weapon and increased stats, Bell charged at the monster. He remembered what Eina had told him about every monster having a weakness and if he targeted it, it would die instantly. Bell skipped past its attacks and then drove his dagger into its heart. The monster died. They were safe. Freya saw it all.
What did you think?
In the last post, I mentioned that the world was the real star of the show, and I still believe that. However, there is one thing this series does that takes it to the next level. It is at its most exciting when Bell has his back against the wall and is seriously outmatched. His spirit and determination are incredible. I love the way he fights back when he has everything to lose. It’s absolutely exhilarating. I feel sorry for the artist who no doubt spent ages drawing all those panels only for readers to skim through at a lightning speed as they keep up with the action.
I also like that we get little snippets of information in the manga that might not come across in the anime. Such as the memories of Bell’s grandfather and everything Freya is up to. Of course, we see Freya in the anime, but I don’t think it did as good a job of tying everything together. Maybe, that’s just because I know something that made it extra special reading it this time…
I’ve talked about clues and mysteries before with this series and they become even more apparent if you are remotely familiar with Greek Mythology. If you’re not and want to be, I would definitely recommend Mythos by Stephen Fry as a great way to dive in. The more you know, the more you know… if you know what I mean. Anyhow, this was a breathtaking volume in a great series.
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- OVA One
- Season Two
- Episode 0 – Past & Future
- Episode 1 – Party | Banquet of the Gods
- Episode 2 – Apollo | Sun God
- Episode 3 – Conversion | Gathering
- Episode 4 – War Game | War Game
- Episode 5 – Home | The Hearthfire Mansion
- Episode 6 – Ishtar Familia | City of Lust
- Episode 7 – Renard | Fox Person
- Episode 8 – Ephemeral Dreams | Killing Stone
- Episode 9 – Berbera | War Prostitutes
- Episode 10 – Argonaut | Longing to Be a Hero
- Episode 11 – Rakia | Army’s Advance
- Episode 12 – Song of Love | Goddess and Child
- OVA Two
- Season Three
- Episode 1 – Wiene Dragon’s Daughter
- Episode 2 – Monster | One Wing
- Episode 3 – Xenos | Outliers
- Episode 4 – Aspiration | Distant Dream
- Episode 5 – Ikelos Familia | King of Atrocity
- Episode 6 – Knossos | Man-Made Labyrinth
- Episode 7 – Dix Perdix | The Dreams of Beasts
- Episode 8 – Bell Cranel | The Fool
- Episode 9 – Stigma | Downfall
- Episode 10 – Invisible | Forced Breakthrough
- Episode 11 – Ultra Soul | Decisive Battle
- Episode 12 – Argonaut | Hero’s Return
- OVA Three
- Bonus Posts