Rudeus finds himself enjoying another rent-free apartment when a mysterious figure enters the room with one of his figurines. He’s trying to find the artist behind it, especially as he also has the Roxy figurine!
Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation (Episode 20) – The Birth of My Little Sister, the Maid
When the mana event occurred, Lilia had the sense to run and hold onto Aisha. She must have known something terrible was going to happen, but even she wasn’t prepared for what did happen. In an instant, she found herself deep beneath the surface of a body of water, Aisha still clinging to her. She swam up and emerged, gasping for air. It took Aisha a moment to recover, but they survived. After some time walking, they arrived at the Shirone Kingdom and searched for Roxy only to run into Pax!
Well, Pax doesn’t need Lilia and Aisha anymore as he has Rudeus locked up inside a King level barrier that nullifies his magic. However, he didn’t count on his brother Zanoba showing an interest in Rudeus thanks to his obsession with the Roxy figurine. So, when he found the Ruijerd one in Rudeus’ things, he marched in to see him, determined to find out who the artist was.
After praising the detail for some time, Rudeus gave away the fact that he had made it. Rudeus also told Zanoba that if he can free him, he will make him his apprentice. That seemed to work for Zanoba who marched off to take care of Pax! Rudeus had no idea what he had just unleashed.
Meanwhile, the royal guards had been in contact with Ruijerd and Eris to ask for their help. Pax keeps their family members prisoner to ensure their total dedication to serving him. They had hoped to ask Rudeus for help before he was captured. Ruijerd was just eager to attack a castle, although Eris was prepared to help them regardless. Of course, no one had planned on Zanoba’s intervention!
What did you think?
There is no doubting Hitogami now. It all worked out exactly as the Human God had planned. Had they stormed the castle when they found out, they could have ended up killing several of the guards and put Aisha and Lilia in danger. This way, the guards were able to make their move against Pax and even use Zanoba, the blessed one in their plans.
I loved this episode. It felt a little like an advert for Roxy figurines, but anyone watching this show will already have had that seed planted a long time ago. The way they brought Zanoba into it, with him appearing to be a fanboy was brilliant. Of course, the twist that he was actually insanely strong and able to do whatever he wants was great. I thought it was a great way to bring this episode together, although I would have liked to see Pax get what he deserved. Exile seems too easy and I can’t help but feel like we’ll see him again.
What have you learnt?
Apparently, I leant that I like the absurd Rudeus apartment segments. Tying this back to the cell in the beast village was great and helped to remind you just how far we’ve come since then. I loved the scenes with Lilia, especially at the end where she hugged Rudeus. It seems like a lifetime ago when he pretty much saved her life and Aisha’s after they all found out that Paul was still a sleazy scumbag… It was also funny that Aisha knew all along.
The strangest thing about this was that I was completely pumped up and ready for a good castle assault just like Ruijerd. However, he was the only one that got to have any fun. That said, this episode didn’t suffer one bit for leaving that in the background. There is one thing that is worrying me though, and that is the title of the next episode and my theories from the prior episodes. I mentioned that something bad was coming, especially as we’ve had a number of successful reunions.
Well, the next episode is called Turning Point 2… Turning Point 1 was the episode when the mana event occurred sending Rudeus and Eris to the Demon Continent. What diabolical plans has this series got in store for us?
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Part 1
- Episode 1 – Jobless Reincarnation
- Episode 2 – Master
- Episode 3 – A Friend
- Episode 4 – Emergency Family Meeting
- Episode 5 – A Young Lady and Violence
- Episode 6 – A Day Off in Roa
- Episode 7 – What Lies Beyond Effort
- Episode 8 – Turning Point 1
- Episode 9 – A Chance Encounter
- Episode 10 – The Value of a Life and the First Job
- Episode 11 – Children and Warriors
- Part 2
- Episode 12 – The Woman with the Demon Eyes
- Episode 13 – Missed Connections
- Episode 14 – No Such Thing As a Free Lunch
- Episode 15 – Slow Life in the Doldia Village
- Episode 16 – Family Squabble
- Episode 17 – Reunion
- Episode 18 – Separate Journeys
- Episode 19 – Route Selection
- Episode 20 – The Birth of My Little Sister, the Maid
- Episode 21 – Turning Point 2
- Episode 22 – Dreams and Reality
- Episode 23 – Wake Up and Take a Step
- Part 1
- Season Two
- Part 1
- Episode 0 – Guardian Fitz
- Episode 1 – The Brokenhearted Mage
- Episode 2 – The Forest in the Dead of Night
- Episode 3 – Abrupt Approach
- Episode 4 – Letter of Invitation
- Episode 5 – Ranoa University of Magic
- Episode 6 – I Don’t Want to Die
- Episode 7 – The Kidnapping and Confinement of Beast Girls
- Episode 8 – The Fiancé of Despair
- Episode 9 – The White Mask
- Episode 10 – These Feelings
- Episode 11 – To You
- Part 1