Rudeus wakes in an ethereal plane and is greeted by the Human-God who tells him he’s been watching him. He’s concerned that he has died again. However, it’s just a dream, though the Human-God has some advice for him!
Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation (Episode 9) – A Chance Encounter
The Human-God told him that he would wake near a man and that he should trust this man. If possible, he should help him. With that, he vanished and Rudeus woke up in his new body staring into the night sky. A campfire snaps and crackles beside him. Eris is there too, but there’s no sign of Ghislaine. on the far side of the fire sits a man with green hair and a red jewel embedded in his forehead – a Superd!
At first, Rudeus was terrified. Everyone has warned him about the Superd. However, Rudeus greets the Superd in the Demon-God language and surprises. He introduces himself as Ruijerd and questions Rudeus’ reaction. Just then, Eris wakes and shows Rudeus how a regular person would react. Rudeus calms her down and they all set off on an adventure through the Demon Continent.
After several days, they reach a small village populated by young-looking blue-haired people. Rudeus is shocked to discover that this is Roxy’s village, although she’s not been there for twenty years. The biggest surprise is that Roxy is probably forty-four years old. After meeting with the chief, Rudeus learns of the history of the Superd and how they were betrayed by Laplace. Ruijerd’s story resonated with Rudeus who promised to help Ruijerd in his quest to clear his tribe’s name.
What did you think?
So, this was quite the departure from the way things were going and I am absolutely loving it. Now, we have a real fantasy adventure as Rudeus and Eris try to find their way home accompanied by possibly the most feared and dangerous man on the planet. I have no idea where this series is going now, but I am on board. Wherever it goes, whatever happens, however long it takes. This is a special series.
The scene at the beginning with the Human-God was bizarre yet brilliant. He was quirky and a bit crazy, but it worked so well, especially putting Rudeus back in his old body. It showed how much he’s changed from the person he used to be and the idea of going back to that was terrifying. I just can’t get over how amazing this series is.
What have you learnt?
Once more we’ve seen Rudeus learning that things are not always as they seem. This time it was the story of the Superd and how they have been turned into some sort of monstrous boogie men who eat unruly children. These changes are entirely believable and seem quite natural when you consider how stories change over time, especially verbal ones.
This was a slower episode in terms of action, but it doesn’t feel like it considering how much we learn and discover each time. It just goes to show that you don’t need a fight scene that lasts three or four episodes to tell an engaging story. I want more of this. More discovery and adventures. The biggest concern is what has happened to Ghislaine, although I’m sure she’ll be fine… I’m mean she is fine… Ghislaine, where are you?
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Part 1
- Episode 1 – Jobless Reincarnation
- Episode 2 – Master
- Episode 3 – A Friend
- Episode 4 – Emergency Family Meeting
- Episode 5 – A Young Lady and Violence
- Episode 6 – A Day Off in Roa
- Episode 7 – What Lies Beyond Effort
- Episode 8 – Turning Point 1
- Episode 9 – A Chance Encounter
- Episode 10 – The Value of a Life and the First Job
- Episode 11 – Children and Warriors
- Part 2
- Episode 12 – The Woman with the Demon Eyes
- Episode 13 – Missed Connections
- Episode 14 – No Such Thing As a Free Lunch
- Episode 15 – Slow Life in the Doldia Village
- Episode 16 – Family Squabble
- Episode 17 – Reunion
- Episode 18 – Separate Journeys
- Episode 19 – Route Selection
- Episode 20 – The Birth of My Little Sister, the Maid
- Episode 21 – Turning Point 2
- Episode 22 – Dreams and Reality
- Episode 23 – Wake Up and Take a Step
- Part 1
- Season Two
- Part 1
- Episode 0 – Guardian Fitz
- Episode 1 – The Brokenhearted Mage
- Episode 2 – The Forest in the Dead of Night
- Episode 3 – Abrupt Approach
- Episode 4 – Letter of Invitation
- Episode 5 – Ranoa University of Magic
- Episode 6 – I Don’t Want to Die
- Episode 7 – The Kidnapping and Confinement of Beast Girls
- Episode 8 – The Fiancé of Despair
- Episode 9 – The White Mask
- Episode 10 – These Feelings
- Episode 11 – To You
- Part 1