Rudeus and Eris make it home. The adventure appears to have come to an end which means it’s time for Ruijerd to leave. He says his farewells, thanking Rudeus for helping him find his way again.
Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation (Episode 22) – Dreams and Reality
Rudeus woke from another nightmare. He’s been struggling to come to terms with what happened with Orsted. Ruijerd asks how he’s doing and then about the Human-God. He finds it hard to believe that two of the old gods are actually real and have been influencing things all this time. Regardless, he is delighted to learn that the curse Laplace transferred to the Superd spears is starting to fade, not that he’ll openly admit it.
As they complete the final leg of their adventure, Rudeus practices his magic, keen to learn more so that he’s not caught out once more, should they meet Orsted again. Eris seems concerned and a little wary. Could she have an idea of what awaits her when she gets home?
They stop at the remains of Rudeus’ house first and then visit the tree that he used to sit beneath with Sylphiette when he was younger. The village has been all but destroyed and the tree is just a dead trunk now. Ruijerd wishes that he could have seen it before the disaster and then begins to say his farewells. This is the end of their journey together, but he hopes that they meet again someday.
Upon arriving at the remains of Eris’ home, they find Ghislaine and Alphonse, the butler. He informs Eris that her father and mother died in the disaster and her grandfather was executed for failing to stop it. He also tells them that the new lord Pilemon Notos Greyrat and that he wishes to take Eris as his concubine. Eris asks for some time alone, but later that night visit Rudeus and tells him that she wants to have his kittens!
What did you think?
And there goes all of the hope and joy of the episodes leading up to this one and the prior episode. The mood was so dreary and yet, it was perfect. This was beautifully put together. We saw how their home had been ravaged by the mana disaster. There was almost nothing left of Rudeus’s village or the city that surrounded Eris’ home. Then, they got the news of Eris’ family not long after saying goodbye to Ruijerd. This was a lot to take in as a viewer, I couldn’t imagine having to go through something like this.
I can completely understand why Eris did what she did. Why she wanted to have one good memory of the place before running away. Of course, this will hit Rudeus harder than anyone. He’s now completely alone. It’s no wonder he was having flashbacks to his previous life. I have no idea where this story is going to go now and with only one episode left, I am seriously considering jumping into the light novels. This series has been incredible.
What have you learnt?
We’ve learnt that Sylphiette is still alive and that Ghislaine is still worthy of our worship. I kind of want the last episode to be everything that’s happened to Ghislaine over the last two years, although I doubt I will get it. It feels like we’re going to end the season at a fairly low point in the story, but that just makes me that much more desperate for another season.
My guess is that Eris and Ghislaine will head back to the Doldia village. It would be a great place for Eris to hide out for a while and I’m sure she will want to clear Ghislaine’s reputation there. Maybe, we’ll see a little more of Roxy and what she’s been up to now that she knows that Rudeus is safe.
As for Rudeus, I get the sense that he’s going to regress unless he can find someone to latch onto. As much as he was used to being alone in his previous life, he’s pretty much always had someone with him in this one. It’s going to be a hard transition for him. Honestly, it’s just amazing to see how far everyone has come and how much they’ve changed over the course of a season. Did I mention that I think we need more?
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Part 1
- Episode 1 – Jobless Reincarnation
- Episode 2 – Master
- Episode 3 – A Friend
- Episode 4 – Emergency Family Meeting
- Episode 5 – A Young Lady and Violence
- Episode 6 – A Day Off in Roa
- Episode 7 – What Lies Beyond Effort
- Episode 8 – Turning Point 1
- Episode 9 – A Chance Encounter
- Episode 10 – The Value of a Life and the First Job
- Episode 11 – Children and Warriors
- Part 2
- Episode 12 – The Woman with the Demon Eyes
- Episode 13 – Missed Connections
- Episode 14 – No Such Thing As a Free Lunch
- Episode 15 – Slow Life in the Doldia Village
- Episode 16 – Family Squabble
- Episode 17 – Reunion
- Episode 18 – Separate Journeys
- Episode 19 – Route Selection
- Episode 20 – The Birth of My Little Sister, the Maid
- Episode 21 – Turning Point 2
- Episode 22 – Dreams and Reality
- Episode 23 – Wake Up and Take a Step
- Part 1
- Season Two
- Part 1
- Episode 0 – Guardian Fitz
- Episode 1 – The Brokenhearted Mage
- Episode 2 – The Forest in the Dead of Night
- Episode 3 – Abrupt Approach
- Episode 4 – Letter of Invitation
- Episode 5 – Ranoa University of Magic
- Episode 6 – I Don’t Want to Die
- Episode 7 – The Kidnapping and Confinement of Beast Girls
- Episode 8 – The Fiancé of Despair
- Episode 9 – The White Mask
- Episode 10 – These Feelings
- Episode 11 – To You
- Episode 12 – I Want to Tell You
- Part 1