A thirty-four-year-old jobless NEET is killed in an accident involving a truck, but as he lay dying on the operating table, he heard strange voices, speaking in an unfamiliar language. He was about to get a second chance!
Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation (Episode 1) – Jobless Reincarnation
When he opened his eyes, the world was bright and out of focus. Slowly, a face came into view. It was a man and he seemed incredibly happy to see him. He even kissed him on the forehead. Then another person became visible – a woman with long blonde hair. She seemed tired but also happy. He reached for her and was shocked to see that his hands were tiny. He was a baby and his new name was Rudeus.
It didn’t take Rudeus long to pick up the new language, although he still hadn’t worked out where or when this was. One day he saw his father, Paul practising with a sword in the garden. It was quite a surprise and caused him to fall off the bench. His mother, Zenith picked him up and placed him on the table where she rubbed his head and spoke as if casting a spell. Well, she was casting a spell. Rudeus couldn’t believe it. He had been reincarnated into a world of sword and sorcery!
What did you think?
I loved this episode. So far, it’s a fairly standard isekai affair, however, the way that it revealed the details of the world through Rudeus’ discoveries was amazing. None of it felt like exposition. I thought the way that he challenged the beliefs of the time and was able to analyse and make assumptions was a brilliant way to explain how the world works. It also showed us a lot about Rudeus and how he will progress in this world.
Rudeus, obviously, has a lot of issues. His interactions with his parents and the maid showed how unsocialised he is. Even when Roxy showed up to train him in magic, all he could do was try to recall his time playing otome games. There was also the moment that he began his training outdoors. You could see that this was an issue for him. However, my favourite thing was his inner monologue at the end when they were welcoming Roxy to the house and he talked about how he might succeed if he worked hard, how he has a chance to make something of himself. He seems determined to change and make up for his previous life.
What have you learnt?
It’s an interesting start to what will no doubt become another over-powered protagonist. We saw Rudeus learning a basic water spell which he then taught himself how to do without an incantation. Because he’s learning from a book, he’s not being influenced by the beliefs of the system. He’s discovering and learning, challenging the standards. Had he been put in a school to do this, it would have been harder to break out on his own.
It reminds me of how processes at a company are done a certain way for a period of time. Any new hires are taught by the existing staff and they then teach the newer hires. Soon, no one knows why something is done a certain way. It has just always been done that way so no one challenges it. That’s one of my pet peeves so I’m fully behind a character that is prepared and able to go against the flow.
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Part 1
- Episode 1 – Jobless Reincarnation
- Episode 2 – Master
- Episode 3 – A Friend
- Episode 4 – Emergency Family Meeting
- Episode 5 – A Young Lady and Violence
- Episode 6 – A Day Off in Roa
- Episode 7 – What Lies Beyond Effort
- Episode 8 – Turning Point 1
- Episode 9 – A Chance Encounter
- Episode 10 – The Value of a Life and the First Job
- Episode 11 – Children and Warriors
- Part 2
- Episode 12 – The Woman with the Demon Eyes
- Episode 13 – Missed Connections
- Episode 14 – No Such Thing As a Free Lunch
- Episode 15 – Slow Life in the Doldia Village
- Episode 16 – Family Squabble
- Episode 17 – Reunion
- Episode 18 – Separate Journeys
- Episode 19 – Route Selection
- Episode 20 – The Birth of My Little Sister, the Maid
- Episode 21 – Turning Point 2
- Episode 22 – Dreams and Reality
- Episode 23 – Wake Up and Take a Step
- Part 1
- Season Two
- Part 1
- Episode 0 – Guardian Fitz
- Episode 1 – The Brokenhearted Mage
- Episode 2 – The Forest in the Dead of Night
- Episode 3 – Abrupt Approach
- Episode 4 – Letter of Invitation
- Episode 5 – Ranoa University of Magic
- Episode 6 – I Don’t Want to Die
- Episode 7 – The Kidnapping and Confinement of Beast Girls
- Episode 8 – The Fiancé of Despair
- Episode 9 – The White Mask
- Episode 10 – These Feelings
- Episode 11 – To You
- Episode 12 – I Want to Tell You
- Part 1