It’s Valentine’s Day and Kyo is not his usual violent self! He can’t even bring himself to fight Yuki! Could it have anything to do with Kagura?
What did you watch?
I just watched Fruits Basket episode 10 and there’s still no news about how long the series will be. Also, given how the story meanders along, there’s no way of telling how much more there is. I guess we’ve just got to sit tight and see where it takes us, and as long as it stays this good, I wouldn’t mind if it were a hundred episodes long.
So, it’s Valentine’s day and Saki has taken it upon herself to open Yuki’s locker. At first, they were surprised to find just one box of chocolates, but then Saki hypothesized that each girl had replaced the previous chocolates so that they alone would win Yuki’s affection. A garbage can full of chocolates seemed to back up her theory. Nothing gets by Saki.
Meanwhile, Kyo hasn’t been himself. He’s a little jumpy and on edge, even the prospect of fighting Yuki isn’t appealing to him. Tohru was concerned and followed him out of class only to find Kagura waiting for him. She was her usual exuberant self, chasing Kyo down and demanding he take her on a date. Then, Shigure suggested that Tohru and Yuki go with them and make it a double date…
What did you think?
This episode was a little more serious than the last one, but mostly because of Shigure. They’ve hinted for a while now that he’s pulling the strings and is far more involved in everything than would appear, so it was nice to see some of that evolving, even if nothing concrete was actually revealed. I was a little disappointed to not see Haru in this episode, but that’s how the Soma’s roll!
What was your favourite moment?
Tohru and Yuki were discussing Shigure on their double date with Kyo and Kagura as Tohru was concerned that he would be lonely. Yuki, however, gave a great analogy of Shigure. He mentioned that others see him as the wave. He washes up and tickles your feet, but when you try to grab him, he slips away. Yuki has another analogy that he believes to be more accurate and that is he’s a jellyfish. You don’t realise you’re in any danger until it’s too late and you’ve been stung.
What was your least favourite moment?
They gave us a glimpse of young Shigure and some realisation he had that has shaped his approach to everything since then, however, the never really gave us any details. Sure, they didn’t have to tell us anything, but I find when a story deliberately under-informs to be quite annoying unless there is a good reason, like when someone’s train of thought is disrupted or aliens attack. Neither of these things happened, so it becomes annoying to me.
Who was your favourite character?
Well, it has to be Shigure. We’re finally starting to see who he is. I think he’s trying to do something about the curse and is willing to sacrifice whoever he needs to to do that, even himself. He also seems to enjoy teasing and manipulating others to do what he wants. Could he be the real power in the Soma clan? Only time will tell.
Who was your least favourite character?
Kyo was a bit of a wet lettuce in this episode. Sure, Kagura is terrifying, but still. He seemed to just give up on everything. I expected more fight from him.
Would you like some more?
Definitely! I need to find out what Shigure is up to and how everyone else falls into his plans. Somehow, I feel like I will be waiting a while, which is fine as long as they keep giving us little bits of information and not deliberately teasing and holding back. It’s like when a wizard that knows everything decides to only tell the hero about things two-thirds into a story. If you’ve known all this time, why now? Tell me the answers…
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now
- Season Three
- Episode 51 – I’ll Hold Another Banquet
- Episode 52 – That’s an Unwavering Truth