And here comes another Soma! This time it’s Hiro and he isn’t the biggest fan of Tohru, plus he’s just an annoying kid. Luckily for Tohru, Momiji brings Kisa to help make the peace. It’s not going to help Kyo though!
What did you watch?
Wow! We’ve made it all the way to episode 20 of Fruits Basket and I’m still really enjoying it. That said, this episode we’re introduced to another Soma and I’m just going to say it… I hate this kid! Sure, there have been annoying characters and larger than life characters, we’ve even met Akito, but I think this is the first time I’ve hated a character. There will be spoilers and a certain amount of rage…
Ever since Tohru helped Kisa to get over her self-loathing and return to school, they’ve spent a lot of time together. This has clearly struck a nerve with one of Kisa’s friends and fellow Zodiac Soma, Hiro. He takes it upon himself to ambush Tohru and see what everyone sees in her. He’s not impressed and also a huge jerk, stealing her notebook which has a picked of Kyoko in it. When Tohru finally catches up with Hiro, Kyo has already found him and Momiji has brought Kisa with him.
After more rudeness from Hiro and Shigure running out on his poor editor again, we learn that Hiro is in love with Kisa and approached Akito for a blessing, but things didn’t go so well, as you would expect with Akito. Anyhow, Tohru ends up having a little heart-to-heart with Hiro and kind of turns him to her side.
What did you think?
I don’t like Hiro. I didn’t like him at the beginning when he was incredibly rude to Tohru. I didn’t like him in the middle when he was still incredibly rude. Then at the end, I can see how they may be trying to justify his behaviour, but I still don’t like him. His behaviour was unacceptable and did I say, I didn’t like him. It was an interesting episode, however, because it reminded us of what’s at stake and that there’s much more going on in the background.
What was your favourite moment?
My favourite moment was a very short one. It was when Shigure and Hatori were discussing Hiro and what happened when he visited Akito. If nothing else, it’s going to be quite the celebration when Shigure takes down Akito. Do it Shigure! You’re our only hope. Otherwise, there was just too much Hiro going on in this episode.
What was your least favourite moment?
Every time Hiro was on the screen. Is it wrong that I was hoping that Yuki was going to attack at any moment? I literally hated everything about that kid and the way he treated Tohru and everyone else really.
Who was your favourite character?
Seriously though, Kyo. You had your chance to be my favourite character of the episode and you blew it. Unfortunately, I also found myself getting annoyed at Tohru for putting up with Hiro’s crap and just being too much of a pushover, which I know is kind of her thing, but come on. There’s being nice and then there’s letting arrogant little turds behave like that. So, Shigure was my favourite character for running out on his poor editor and plotting the downfall of Akito.
Who was your least favourite character?
Do I really need to say it? All right, it was Hiro. Hiro, Hiro, Hiro! Argh!!! That kid just wound me up something fierce. I’d be quite happy to never see Hiro again. Please tell me he’s not integral to the story going forward!
Would you like some more?
I’m just going to sit back and quietly support Shigure in all his devious endeavours. Also, judging by the title of the next episode, we’re going to see a lot more of Saki. I feel like it could be her backstory, which I am very much looking forward to. At this stage, I don’t even care about who Tohru chooses between Yuki and Kyo, I’m just here to see Akito’s reign brought to an end! Oh, and if they can tell us the link between Kyo and Kyoko, that would be grand!
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?