Rin is desperate to find a way to break the curse. She even goes to see Shigure and offers him everything she has, but he laughs at her assumptions that he is a favourite and would know more than anyone else.
Shigure told Rin that he may be a favourite but he is not a good man. He isn’t prepared to put in the work needed to discover a way to break the curse. Instead, he seems set to wait for others to do the dirty work. Rin doesn’t believe him but tries to find some answers for herself. However, when she passes out while searching, she wakes to some pretty horrific nightmares. We see how Rin’s early childhood was fake and when she asked why her parents were so happy all the time, they snapped and turned into what can only be described as demons. One afternoon after school, Rin passed out in the street and was found by Haru. He took her to the hospital where it was found that she had multiple injuries in places that weren’t obviously visible.
When her parents were called in to explain, they told her that she could not come home and that they didn’t want her. She moved in with Kagura’s family, but that only made things harder. As she grew older, she came to rely on Haru for support and somewhere along the way, it turned into more. This, of course, enraged Akito who took it out on Rin and ultimately pushed her out of a second storey window.
What did you think?
Wow! Episodes like this seem to appear every so often in Fruits Basket and every time they do, it’s like taking a sucker punch to the gut. It is horrific to see the way the Soma parents, in general, treat their children. Sure, there are some good ones, but if there was a contest for the worst one, it would have to be a brutal battle royale style format where the worst parent would be the last one standing! It makes me sick to my stomach to think that people like this actually do exist in the world. And then there’s Akito…
What have you learnt?
I am a little worried about how this series will end. Anything short of Akito’s head on a spike will leave me thoroughly disappointed. The problem is that I get the feeling that this isn’t going to be a revenge story. Somewhere along the road, they are going to try to humanise and explain Akito’s past, and frankly, I don’t care what happened to her (yes, I still believe Akito is a woman). There is nothing that will allow me to forgive her actions and the way she bullied and abused the zodiac Somas. Burn the whole damn estate down!
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now
- Season Three
- Episode 51 – I’ll Hold Another Banquet
- Episode 52 – That’s an Unwavering Truth