School’s back and everyone is settling back in. Yuki has now assumed the position of Student President and is getting familiar with his new team and duties, but can he stop from sabotaging himself?
Yuki is welcomed back to school by Mokoto and given a box of chocolates. To their surprise, a first-year girl walks up to them and calls Yuki Yun-Yun and asks to eat the chocolates with him. Yuki leaves his fan club with the girl and demands to know who she is and why she called him Yun-Yun. Of course, it’s all down to his vice-president Kakeru Manabe, who is a bit of a charming rogue. He introduces Yuki to the student council team, which includes the girl, Kimi Toudou. Yuki goes on his rounds and struggles as he compares himself to Kakeru who has a magnetic personality and reminds him of his brother Ayame and Kyo.
What did you think?
I feel like Fruits Basket has been raising the bar continuously this season, but this is the first time that it failed to live up to the previous episode. It’s actually my least favourite from this season. There were some funny moments with Kakeru and Kimi, but it was also exhausting. Not to mention Yuki’s angst. On top of that, it really didn’t feel like much moved forward at all. Did Yuki make any progress, because I don’t think he did? Sure, he stood up to Kakeru to hide his own emotions which probably wasn’t the best way to handle that situation. It was a fine episode, but not in the same league as the rest of this season.
What have you learnt?
I think Kimi was probably the most interesting thing to come out of this episode. She clearly has many sides to her and is only really showing the one. I liked how she seems to play the aloof goofball but is obviously far more aware of what she’s doing that others seem to realise. There’s definitely a darker side to her and that’s what I want to see. So, I think the takeaway from this episode is to try giving you characters more than one face. Everyone has multiple faces that they use in different situations so characters should be no different.
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now
- Season Three
- Episode 51 – I’ll Hold Another Banquet
- Episode 52 – That’s an Unwavering Truth
- Episode 53 – I Hope It Snows Soon
- Episode 54 – I’m… Home.
- Episode 55 – I Mean… You Know, Right?
- Episode 56 – It Was So Foolish
- Episode 57 – That’s Right, It’s Empty
- Episode 58 – I’m Disappointed in You
- Episode 59 – What’s Your Name?
- Episode 60 – I Just Love Her
- Episode 61 – Goodbye
- Episode 62 – You Fought Well
- Episode 63 – See You Again Soon