Tohru instinctively ran the second she saw Kyo. She had planned on smiling, even practised doing so, but all she could do was to run. What would Kyo say to her when he caught up with her? How will this end?
Tohru’s last memories of Kyo were her telling her off for liking him. He went to great lengths to explain why he didn’t deserve her love. She had no recollection of the fall or what happened next, so as far as she was concerned, it was over before it had begun. Just the sound of Kyo’s name was like a dagger through her heart.
So, when Tohru came out of the hospital and saw Kyo standing there, she couldn’t do anything else but run. She had wanted to smile and had spent many hours practising as she said his name, but it was all for nought. The reality was too much for her to handle. Kyo caught up with her and tried to talk to her, but she turned and raced off once more.
He eventually caught up with her once more and got close enough to place his hand on hers. There would be no more running. Kyo knelt down in front of her and apologised for what he said, for what he had put her through. He realised now that running away was the same as not knowing and he was tired of running.
Tohru was surprised. She thought he hated her or that he felt unworthy of love and pushed everyone away. That may have been the case, but not anymore. He told her straight up that he loved her and wanted to be with her for the rest of his life. Then, they kissed.
Tohru was even more surprised to learn that it wasn’t their first kiss! Kyo asked if he could hug her. If she was to love him, the curse came with him. Tohru declared that her love was invincible and she didn’t fear the curse. They embraced, wrapping their arms around one another and waited. They continued to wait. There was no cloud of smoke. Kyo did not turn into a cat. The curse had been broken.
Akito had broken the remaining bonds, freeing all of the zodiac spirits. There would be no more banquets. Their lives had just begun.
What did you think?
Who held their breath when they hugged? Come on, you know you did. Admittedly, it was the moment we’d all been waiting for. Sure, they kissed again, but we’re here for the hugs. Seeing the relief and shock on their faces was amazing. I was delighted to see that the focus shifted to Ayame for a second as he revealed to Mine that he was free to love her as he had always believed he should.
I also loved the real story of the zodiacs, and damn it if those onion-chopping ninjas didn’t show up when the cat died. It was interesting to see how each of the zodiac Somas responded to the feeling of being free and alone. I guess that means we’ve got two more episodes to fully wrap things up. Yuki and Machi and Hatori and Mayuko need to happen.
I can’t believe we’re almost at the end. The most surprising moment for me was that I didn’t hate the way they let Akito break the curse. It doesn’t absolve her of her previous actions, but it’s a step in the right direction. I’m also fairly relieved to think that it happened because of Tohru’s influence on Akito.
What have you learnt?
I often talk about how important the strength of an ending is to a story. There have been too many times to count where my enjoyment of a story has changed significantly based on how it ends. I’ve loved some only to have the ending leave me infuriated and there have been others that I was fine with but the ending hit it out of the park. It’s the lasting impression you come away with that matters.
Sure, we’ve got two episodes left to tie up some loose ends, but the main story is done and it was handled amazingly. Seeing it happen through Kyo and Tohru was the perfect way to do it and the story of the zodiac spirits no doubt played on Akito’s mind. I’m curious whether she was told the story by Tohru or whether they just used her voice actor to do it. Either way, it was another great moment and perfectly complimented the previous story.
The best thing about wrapping up the main story with two episodes to go is that they can focus purely on uplifting and memorable moments. I’m preparing to be attacked by onion-chopping ninjas for both episodes. It’s hard to believe that it’s almost over…
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now
- Season Three
- Episode 51 – I’ll Hold Another Banquet
- Episode 52 – That’s an Unwavering Truth
- Episode 53 – I Hope It Snows Soon
- Episode 54 – I’m… Home.
- Episode 55 – I Mean… You Know, Right?
- Episode 56 – It Was So Foolish
- Episode 57 – That’s Right, It’s Empty
- Episode 58 – I’m Disappointed in You
- Episode 59 – What’s Your Name?
- Episode 60 – I Just Love Her
- Episode 61 – Goodbye
- Episode 62 – You Fought Well
- Episode 63 – See You Again Soon