Shigure invites Tohru, Kyo, Yuki to the Soma Lake Cabin for a mini-break, but in reality, it’s to get Hatori away from Kana’s wedding. Things seem to be fairly chilled until a surprise visitor arrives!
What did you watch?
It was a fairly more relaxed affair for episode 15 of Fruits Basket and after the emotional turmoil of the last episode, it was probably for the best. There’s been no progress on my theories from the last post, so I’m just going to have to wait and see if Kyo and Yuki ever step up and tell Tohru what’s going on with them. Well, let’s get into the episode. As usual, there will be spoilers.
Tohru has noticed that Yuki and Kyo haven’t been acting like themselves ever since they visited her mother’s grave. She’s unsure as to what is going on but invariably blames herself. Shigure appears out of nowhere and invites Tohru to the Soma lake cabin for a mini-vacation since he missed the last one. Of course, Yuki and Kyo aren’t going to let him take her on his own, so they tag along. Somehow, Shigure has roped Hatori into coming as their driver.
Yuki and Kyo take Tohru for a walk down to the lake and get into a spot of bother, which ends with them both in their animal forms. When they get back, Hatori has fallen asleep and as Tohru puts a blanket on him, Shigure notes that she’ll make a fine wife someday. Yuki and Kyo are horrified by the suggestion, but Ayame backs him up… Yuki and Kyo are furious that Ayame has appeared and blame Shigure. Ayame, however, confirms that he found out from someone else and decided to show up.
What did you think?
I really enjoyed this episode. It was great to see Ayame back in the thick of it so soon after his introduction and on top of that, it gave us another chance to see Ayame, Hatori, and Shigure together. Their friendship is fun to watch, especially when Ayame and Shigure start hamming it up. Tohru, Kyo, and Yuki didn’t really do much with their half of the episode, which was a bit of a letdown since so much was hinted at last week.
What was your favourite moment?
That was absolutely when Shigure and Ayame started to continue their show of affection for one another, much to the annoyance of Kyo and Yuki. They are such a fun couple of characters and the dynamic of their friendship is great to watch. Even Hatori being the more straight-laced member of the group works, and the way they both stood up for him and demanded that he find happiness was very cool. They’re a great group.
What was your least favourite moment?
I was really disappointed that Yuki and Kyo both failed to tell Tohru why they were acting that way. We can only speculate for another episode, but I’m sticking with my theory that Kyo and Kyoko are mother and son, making Kyo and Tohru brother and sister… dum dum dum! I’m probably way off, but I’m sticking with it until I’m proven otherwise.
Who was your favourite character?
All in, Shigure is my favourite character because he’s probably the most like me. Seriously, I may even start wearing a kimono as well. However, Shigure is even more fun when Ayame is around and the second he appeared in this episode it lit up. I love the way they mess with the younger members of the family and how Hatori has to keep them in check constantly, else who knows what might happen.
Who was your least favourite character?
That could be either of Kyo or Yuki. Seriously, stop beating around the bush and just tell us all what’s going on. You both have some secrets and it’s time to spill. I think we’ve all been waiting long enough, so how about you just give us something. Confirm that it’s Yuki’s baseball cap that Tohru has been treasuring all this time. We know it is, so just say it already!
Would you like some more?
I’m still really enjoying this series, however, I do want something to start happening. We’ve met a whole bunch of characters and had hints and some fairly sinister stuff going on in the background. Now, I feel like we need to see some of it on the screen. We keep getting more and more questions and not that many answers. At least nothing concrete. Still, I do love the character interactions and would have gladly watched a series that focused on Shigure, Ayame, and Hatori.
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now
- Season Three
- Episode 51 – I’ll Hold Another Banquet
- Episode 52 – That’s an Unwavering Truth
- Episode 53 – I Hope It Snows Soon
- Episode 54 – I’m… Home.
- Episode 55 – I Mean… You Know, Right?
- Episode 56 – It Was So Foolish
- Episode 57 – That’s Right, It’s Empty
- Episode 58 – I’m Disappointed in You
- Episode 59 – What’s Your Name?
- Episode 60 – I Just Love Her
- Episode 61 – Goodbye
- Episode 62 – You Fought Well
- Episode 63 – See You Again Soon