Tohru goes to visit Hatori at the Soma family estate, but what reason could he possibly have for inviting her in the first place, especially when he asked her to keep it to herself!
What did you watch?
And this is episode 7 of Fruits Basket. It was a slower-paced episode with lots of information about the Somas. Obviously, there was still lots held back, but I think we’re starting to get a picture of just how big the family is. There’s still no news on the length of the season, so I guess we’re just going to have to sit back and enjoy the ride, however long that may be!
Tohru left Shigure’s house for the day, leaving Kyo and Yuki to twiddle their thumbs. Those poor kids appear to be lost without her. Which could be a real possibility as she’s gone to meet with Hatori at the Soma family estate alone, despite Yuki’s warnings of just that. She arrives at the impressive gatehouse and is greeted by Momiji.
Hatori welcomes Tohru in his usual harsh manner and then informs her of the size of the Soma family and the two classes. He then tells her that most of the outside Somas don’t know about the zodiac curse, so it is incredible that a complete outsider is allowed to know. He then warns her that she should leave and never come back, and that Akito is using her for something.
What did you think?
It didn’t have the impact of the last couple of episodes but was still very enjoyable. We saw a little more of the Soma world and got a brutal glimpse into Hatori’s past and his mindset. With his ability to erase memories, he has had to harden himself to the effects, especially in one instance in particular. They really do manage to capitalize on the emotional impact of these scenes.
What was your favourite moment?
For me, it was Hatori’s flashback when he transformed into the seadragon. If you’ve been reading my reviews of Fairy Gone, you’ll probably have noticed my regular lamenting of the flashbacks. Well, this was an example of how to do it. The way that Tohru reacted to his transformation that sparked the memory of the last time someone acted like that. It was his former girlfriend when she first discovered his secret.
It gave us a real glimpse into Hatori’s life and the way he sees Tohru’s situation. He comes across as harsh, but in reality, he thinks he is saving her, Yuki, and Kyo from what he went through. The scenes with Akito where she flipped out were very interesting. I can’t wait to find out what she’s up to.
What was your least favourite moment?
It’s a tough one this week because I think this episode was so focused on the one thing that it took almost the whole episode. I guess, if I’m being really picky, it would be Tohru giving the same response to what comes of snow when it melts as Kana. Also, Kana walking past moments earlier talking about getting married. These were a little too perfect, but it’s a small criticism. I still enjoyed those scenes.
Who was your favourite character?
I actually really liked Hatori as a character. He’s a little more complicated and sinister than the other Somas. It was also nice seeing his interactions with Shigure, who seems to show up at all the right times. He really is pulling the strings on this show.
Who was your least favourite character?
We didn’t see that much of her, but Akito is a menacing character who clearly has some issues and quite possibly a bit of jealousy towards Hatori and Kana. That’s the only explanation I can come up with as to the way she acted. It doesn’t bode well for Tohru, Yuki, and Kyo if that’s the case unless Shigure can keep her in check.
Would you like some more?
Definitely. In Fruits Basket, there have been so many hooks and hints at future events that it’s almost impossible to stop watching. Even in the first episode, we had Tohru living in a tent and the Somas all transforming into animals. Each week, I feel like we’ve built a little on those, keeping me hooked from week to week without the need for a cliffhanger.
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now
- Season Three
- Episode 51 – I’ll Hold Another Banquet
- Episode 52 – That’s an Unwavering Truth
- Episode 53 – I Hope It Snows Soon
- Episode 54 – I’m… Home.
- Episode 55 – I Mean… You Know, Right?
- Episode 56 – It Was So Foolish
- Episode 57 – That’s Right, It’s Empty
- Episode 58 – I’m Disappointed in You
- Episode 59 – What’s Your Name?
- Episode 60 – I Just Love Her
- Episode 61 – Goodbye
- Episode 62 – You Fought Well
- Episode 63 – See You Again Soon