It’s the school trip to Kyoto, which Tohru and Kyo completely forgot about. Luckily, Yuki was making preparations and reminded them. Wonder if anyone will confess their feelings for another?
Ironically, Kyo is the one to be asked out and by some random girl that hates Arisa because she thinks that Arisa likes Kyo. Obviously, this is something that they both take offence to and while a couple of class friends are lamenting Kyo’s treatment of women and wish they could say cool things like him, Saki is enjoying some local delicacies. Things get even more hectic when Yuki is separated from the others and bumps into Kakeru and then Kimi. They’re certainly not the sort of people you want around when things are already a little crazy. However, Kakeru manages to make a bit of a breakthrough with Yuki. It’s all a it of a surprise and the trip ends up being fairly memorable and just what they all needed.
What did you think?
It didn’t feel like that much happened in this episode and yet pretty much all of the central characters got a bit of time to work on their issues. Tohru and Kyo appear to be getting closer, but how much of that is him protecting her? Both Yuki and Kyo seem to have been affected by Akito’s cutting words. I definitely enjoyed the humour in this episode and it was nice to see Kimi show up again as she always has some fun things to say. I particularly love it when she switches from cute and bubbly to cold and harsh while putting Kakeru down. While this episode was a joy to watch, I can’t help but wonder if this is the calm before the storm.
What have you learnt?
This was an overly pleasant episode, which again makes me worry for the coming episodes. It’s a great tactic to switch the tone and pace between episodes as it constantly shakes things up and keeps you on your toes. Was this too pleasant? Well, I guess we’ll find out when we see just how bad things get going forward. I’ve not seen the original series or read the manga, but even I get the sense that we’re building up to a pretty big moment. Whatever it is, I’m sure it will floor us, with or without a chilled episode before it.
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now