Momiji races into Tohru’s classroom with dire news, but then gets caught with Saki and Arisa teasing Kyo… anyhow, Haru has gone Dark and is smashing up his classroom. Yuki and Kyo hurry to stop him before it goes too far!
It turns out that Haru has been dumped by his secret girlfriend, Rin and without much of an explanation either so it’s been eating away at him until he finally snapped. Kyo stepped in to confront him and took particular objection to Haru grabbing Tohru. Of course, this just opened up the memories of him lashing out at her in his true cat form. After Haru has calmed down and his parents called to the school, Yuki goes to see him and tries to find out what happened. Haru tells him about Rin and that he believed no one else knew about them.
The next day, Momiji races into their class to tell them that Haru has been suspected… He, of course, means suspended, so Yuki decides to visit Haru at the Soma estate. It’s been a while since he’s set foot there and it’s giving him anxiety, but he needs to see how Haru is doing. While there, he spots Rin but she disappears and then an elderly lady tells Yuki to make amends with Akito before it’s too late!
What did you think?
It was another good episode although this one definitely felt more like set up for future events. Obviously, Rin is going to be important to that and I feel like there’s more going on that her just ending it with Haru because she doesn’t need him anymore. The whole time Yuki was running toward the gates of the Soma estate, I was sure Akito was going to ambush him. Even, without being on the screen, Akito has a dominating presence. However, it wasn’t Akito, but Rin who was watching Yuki. I can see her turning up at Shigure’s house in the next episode and meeting Tohru. I also think she is some sort of bird zodiac animal which is how she can disappear from her hospital room, leaving the windows blowing in the breeze.
What have you learnt?
It’s always good to put little things in to remind the audience of past events and their possible significance going forward. I hate it when a series suddenly drops something in that becomes integral to the story that hasn’t been mentioned since the first episode. You don’t have to continuously bang us over the heads with it, but it should be there and preferably subtle. Kyo’s beads are one of these things and even just him looking at them for a second too long reminds us of what happened when they were taken from him. Powerful images can be brought forward with ease when it’s done right. And, as usual, Fruits Basket does it right.
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now