Yuki wakes from a troubling dream. One that he hasn’t had in a while, but what could it mean? Suddenly, Ayame burst into his room and declares that he will spend every moment of the day with him…
Not long after making his declaration, Ayame said his goodbyes and headed off, much to Yuki’s confusion. Ayame tried to console his younger brother who swiped away his hand, ripping his own sleeve. Of course, Ayame offered to sew it back together while they all enjoyed some nice ripe peaches he had brought over. After some casual flirting with Shigure, Ayame returned Yuki’s jacket complete with the words “brotherly love” embroidered on the back. Bizarrely, Yuki then says he would like to visit Ayame’s shop. Of course, Ayame is delighted and invites Tohru to come with him.
Yuki and Tohru arrive at Ayame’s shop and enter to find the inside full of crafting materials and a girl in a maid’s costume… Ayame then enters the room in a wedding dress… Ayame then tells Yuki that he makes clothes for people and is not afraid of any design. He actually seems to relish the idea of helping others with their romance. Mine, Ayame’s maid costume-wearing assistant takes Tohru to try on some clothes and leaves Ayame to talk with Yuki… Alone!
What did you think?
I remember the first time we met Ayame and that after watching that episode my cheeks were sore from smiling and laughing. Well, this episode was no different. Ayame and Shigure are incredible together and I love the way they flirt with one another, making Yuki and Kyo uncomfortable. It’s hilarious, so much so that you can probably expect them to be heavily involved in my next Saturday Spin-off. This series is just incredible and it continually manages to shake things up. Even with Ayame and as flamboyant as he is, we got a very serious moment of reflection on how he failed Yuki when he needed him. His advice, however, was spot on and that just helps to make him such an interesting character.
What have you learnt?
I love plot. There’s nothing like a compelling story with lots of things happening to pull you through it. However, if you can create characters as Fruits Basket has, you can take your time and really let them shine. We’ve had three episodes this season and the plot hasn’t really moved on much from the end of last season, but spending time with these characters is enchanting and that’s something that should not be underestimated. This series is a must-watch for anyone looking to improve their writing skills. It doesn’t matter what genre you write in, there is so much to learn. It has a good story, amazing characters, and can change the tone in a heartbeat without it feeling jarring.
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?