The arrival of Kagura certainly brings a bit of action to the Soma household, but will she see Tohru as a threat or an ally?
What did you watch?
So, this was episode 4 of Fruits Basket and at this stage I still didn’t quite understand what I’d gotten myself into, but it was a lot of fun and I had almost finished watching all the seasonal shows from the previous season. As always, you can expect spoilers beyond here.
At the end of the last episode, Tohru was met by a shy and timid girl, hiding behind a tree and asking it Kyo was living there. When Tohru confirmed that he was, the shy girl ran inside with a skip in her step and joy on her face. Then she saw Kyo and punched him through the table and the screen doors…
It turns out that the shy and timid girl, Kagura is also a Soma and suffering from a zodiac curse. She then spends the rest of the episode either confessing her love for Kyo or pounding his face in. Having prepared a lavish feast, Kagura goes to tell Kyo that the dinner is ready. When he says he’s not hungry she knocks him through the floor destroying all the food.
What did you think?
I really enjoyed this episode. I’m not sure what that says about me, but I couldn’t stop laughing at Kagura’s personality flips. Poor Kyo just can’t seem to go an episode without taking a beating. These Somas really have some emotional issues and violent tendencies. I think Shigure is the only one not to have hit anyone. There was also a nice moment between Tohru and Kyo on the roof, but I enjoyed the funny moments more.
What was your favourite moment?
I don’t know why because I saw it coming a mile off, but when Kyo fell through the ceiling and destroyed the feast I laughed so hard. Maybe, it was Shigure’s reaction or Kyo’s face. It could have been the way that Kagura flipped having prepared this exquisite feast only for him to tell her he wasn’t hungry. Whatever, it was funny.
What was your least favourite moment?
I do find it troubling how utterly unstable the Somas are and poor Tohru is stuck in the middle unsure of how to react. They are obviously super strong and able to recover from things well, so it stands to reason that they would be like this because there is no consequence except for all the damage to property. I had to laugh when Kagura threw Kyo into the TV and you just hear Shigure’s exasperation.
Who was your favourite character?
I don’t know too much about the Chinese zodiac but I would never have guessed the boar for Kagura. I was expecting something with a little more of a darker side. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed Kagura’s introduction to the show. She offered some great slapstick entertainment and also creates a little more tension for Tohru, especially as Kyo is clearly going to become a love interest at some point.
Who was your least favourite character?
I don’t think Yuki really did anything in this episode except sit around and wait for one of the girls to make him some food. Admittedly, Shigure pretty much did the same, but at least he offered some comedic lines and interacted a little more with Tohru and Kagura. At this stage, I don’t seem to care for Yuki. Even with Kyo’s closed off and angry exterior, I find him to be more interesting as a character.
Would you like some more?
I don’t think they’ve announced how many episodes will be in this season of Fruits Basket, but the title image says season one which makes me think there will be at least a second season. Either way, there are a lot more Somas to be introduced and no doubt some more interesting personalities. Surely, however, they can’t all show up and beat up Kyo!
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now
- Season Three
- Episode 51 – I’ll Hold Another Banquet
- Episode 52 – That’s an Unwavering Truth
- Episode 53 – I Hope It Snows Soon
- Episode 54 – I’m… Home.
- Episode 55 – I Mean… You Know, Right?
- Episode 56 – It Was So Foolish
- Episode 57 – That’s Right, It’s Empty
- Episode 58 – I’m Disappointed in You
- Episode 59 – What’s Your Name?
- Episode 60 – I Just Love Her
- Episode 61 – Goodbye
- Episode 62 – You Fought Well
- Episode 63 – See You Again Soon